Saturday, October 13, 2007

Snack Time...Grab the Salt Shaker

If you were to treat yourself to a snack right this very minute, what would it be? The Sweet Potato Queens - a very southern group of women, with several books dedicated to their own fabulous-ness - have proposed that all good snack foods must fall into one of four categories: salty, sweet, fried, or au gratin.

Where would your snack of choice fit in?


I have never been a "grab-an-apple" kind of a snacker. I enjoy chips and salsa (fried and salty), Whoppers and Reeses...okay, anything chocolate (sweet), Flaming Hot Cheetos with Lime (so hot, so salty and so so so fried), and leftovers. I guess if it's leftover Funeral Potatoes, I can count it as fulfilling the au gratin category. Most of the time, I head for a salty snack.


Mmmmmm, salt. I love it.
Love. It.

Whenever we go to Chili's and order the chips and salsa, I immediately grab the salt shaker and have at it. And when Troy turns his head, I salt them again.


McDonald's salt, in the little packets? It's so powdery and fine - and is it just me, or does it taste better than household salt?


My current snack of choice in the salty category, is this:



Don't laugh - it's delicious!


And this is why. No wonder I like it so much!




See the handy little portions? Right out of the freezer.





You make a big slit in the top.





Pop it in the microwave for 3 minutes.

It's pre-cooked - this is just heating it up nicely.

Careful - it's hot!



Dump it out on a plate...



and sprinkle that salt all over it.





When it's on a different plate, you can really see how salty it gets.




Can you see the extra tiny sprinkles of salt - sometimes I even add a
few shakes from the salt shaker.


I know what you're all thinking...hey, isn't she on high blood pressure medicine? Yes, but I 'm sure it's genetic - my diet has nothing to do with it. Probably.


Choose the plumpest, saltiest one...




And lick the salt right off of it.


Then squeeze the pod gently. I said gently!
Those soybeans will shoot across the room, I tell ya!


Then pop it in your mouth! Squeeze the other one in too. Lick your fingers and repeat.
I usually use two hands.

It's a very satisfying way to eat a snack - earthy and tactile. Like eating sticky, sauce-covered riblets and licking your fingers and lips, pulling a cheesy nacho from the pile and pushing the whole thing into your mouth, lest it drip, plunging your fingers into a bowl of buttery, salty popcorn, bringing it to your mouth again and again. And again.

I don't really suggest eating these in front of other people.

My biggest problem with the edamame?




Keeping him away from my plate.


His first question when I called him over so I could take his picture?



"Is there a ton of salt on it?"




He just wanted to make sure.

What is your favorite snack?

5 comments:

Suz Q Free Tibet said...

I love love love salt! I remember one of the times I went out with you & Troy at Chili's and I totally remember you with the salt shaker! I thought to myself...I'm not the only one...you melted my heart darlin!! You are my salt soul mate!

Nora Mair said...

Cold Cereal!! Life, Charms, Flakes, makes no difference--Whole milk even better. Wendy--I'm sorry, but those don't look good at all. Veggies a snack?

dishes and laundry said...

Shake it on, Suz, shake it!

Nora - it isn't so much that I'm eating veggies as a snack. More like I'm eating salt, with some veggies thrown in.

In no way do I claim to eat healthy snacks all the time - remember, I love Flaming Cheetos and chocolate. (Not together, of course) Mmmmm.

Both of my boys love cereal as a snack too.

Unknown said...

Snacking is so dangerous for me...I can't ever stop!! I could easily go through an entire package of Oreos as long as I had a gallon of milk to go with it!! Which is why I only buy the milk and not the Oreos!!

I normally think "sweet" and not "salty," but heaven help me if anyone makes popcorn or gets out a bag of pretzels...I'm hooked and will eat until they are all gone!!

BusyBez said...

I love the soy bean but haven't a clue were to get it... please tell.
And my snack of choice, always twizzlers- strawberry flavored.