Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Naughty Toddler

Oliver has quickly grown to over 11 pounds of puppy fun. He's about three months, which puts him at almost two years old in human years.

He's a furry toddler.

I remember when the boys were going through this stage and they wouldn't even let me go to the bathroom alone. It's pretty much the same with Oliver. If I shut the door on him, he cries and cries. If I let him in, he's just a little too curious. When I take a shower, he's peeking in to see what I'm doing.

The roll of toilet paper can't go on the spindle (as long as we can't remember to keep the door shut anyway) because Oliver can reach it and he'll have the time of his life doing this:



And this:



He tries to look all innocent when he's caught red-handed...

He won't hold still for pictures...


He'd just as soon play with the box than with any of the toys we buy him...



But the craziest thing I have to do with Oliver that reminds me of when the boys were young, is the tiptoeing around when he's asleep - an elaborate game of Don't Wake the Baby.

Oliver sleeps with Cameron usually, and he's pretty good about sleeping through the night. But the second he hears anyone walking around in the morning, he's up and ready to begin the day. Not so good when I get up at 5:15. If Oliver gets up, I have to take the time to let him out and then he's not about to go back to sleep, and nobody else wants to wake up to be with him while I go to the gym. My whole goal first thing every morning is to sneak out of the house.

After my alarm goes off, I tiptoe down the hall and drop to a crawl in front of the boys' bedroom. The laundry basket props the door open, so I delicately push it until the door will swing shut. So, so quietly, I turn the knob and pull it into the frame.

Now I can get ready, but I'm still worried about the sound of water running and the garage door waking him up. I'm like a burglar moving through my own home. At least when the boys were babies, if they woke up I could throw them in bed with Troy, move his arm so it was propping the bottle, and be on my way. That doesn't quite work with Oliver.

Every day that I can make it out of the house without waking him up feels like a tiny miracle. Woo Hoo! I'm so easy to please.

Gotta go. I think Oliver's learned to open the cabinet under the bathroom sink. Time to install those cabinet locks again.

Definitely a toddler. At least there are no diapers.

7 comments:

pinklady said...

that cracks me up! oliver is adorable but definitely in the toddler stage, you are right. here's hoping he'll grow out of it!

our dog used to pull kleenex out of the box one by one anytime a box was in reach (which, weirdly enough, was more often than we thought!) or would knock over the trash bin in the office and shred each piece of paper. ah, what we do for puppy love!

Nora Mair said...

hehe. Good thing he's so cute.

Angi said...

Oliver, come play with Skip, he'll teach you some more cute things to do around the house. Oh, by the way, Skip just turned 50.

dishes and laundry said...

Right now all the Kleenex is too high up - but he's not shy about climbing :)

Happy Birthday, Skip!!!

Unknown said...

What a cute boy you have, Wendy! Aaron had almost that much hair when he was a baby!!

Amber said...

What he lacks in size, he makes up for in naughtiness and cuteness! This is exactly why I DON'T want a dog!~

Elise said...

Looks a lot like someone else Iknow, minus the hair! He's just so darn cute, Wendy!