Friday, February 8, 2008

The Oddest Thing

Troy had an unexpected day off in the middle of the week - which is actually what we've come to expect this winter. When a bad storm is raging over Donner's Pass, he waits a day before heading out. It saves him driving time, it's safer, and gives him a chance to take care of things that are on his "I'll get around to it" list.


It also means that I have to cook a for-real meal two nights in a row.

But that's beside the point.
With two whole days, Troy's been super productive.
He has:
  • changed a few high light bulbs
  • fixed the stuck stopper in the bathroom sink drain so we won't have to brush our teeth and spit in the tub.
  • cleaned out the slow-draining drain in the tub. It's my hair that's clogging it - sorry, Babe.
  • done our taxes
  • vacuumed - he's good like that
  • played the Crack with the boys, and
  • bought new tires for my Explorer

I've needed new tires all winter. Man, I hate spending money on tires. Hate spending money on cars, period. But I really really really did need new tires. It's been a slippery, slidey, snowy winter - we couldn't put it off any longer.

He and Aaron drove off on the bald tires and went to see Les Schwab Tires. Les would cost less, Troy assured me.

Couple hours later they came back home. Four brand-spankin' new, shiny black tires. 235/R17 Toyo All Terrain, white walls out - just in case any men read this.

And of course, one of my anti-sway arms was out (oh whatever!!), and the whole thing ended up costing slightly less than my mortgage payment. Kind of bitter about that.

I went out to oooooh and ahhhhh over my new tires and to give Troy a kiss for caring about our safety. He handed me a bag.

"Here. I brought you something."

The bag was much too heavy for the standard "here, I brought you something" Reese's Peanut Butter Cup or bag of Flaming Hot Cheetos with Limon. I peered inside.

"What the...?"

"They gave it to me. For buying the tires."


Really.

Two pounds.


Now, is that just the oddest thing you've ever heard of?

13 comments:

pinklady said...

what kind of beef is that? I got new tires on my car in college and got some steaks of some sort. whatever.

tires + beef = happy men
(I guess)

I don't get the excitement there....at all.

(congrats on the new tires!)

Tesia said...

Lol, that's kinda scary. Where do they keep that stuff?

Elise said...

That is so weird!

Mrs. J said...

Tires and beef, I can totally see the connection. (????)

Suz Q Free Tibet said...

That is so odd. What if your a vegetarian? Free tofu?

Angi said...

Haven't you seen or heard the comercials for Les Schwab and the Beef?

Oh well, guess I watch tooo much TV.

dishes and laundry said...

It's ground beef - packaged by a local meat company.

Troy could choose between the ground beef, a steak, or a vacuum sealed package of cut up Slim Jim type things.

Not to be greedy or anything...but I think four tires should equal four packages of meat.

Nora Mair said...

Do they have a meat locker in the back of the store? Oddest for sure. They don't seem to go.

Amber said...

Very random. I love that the packages are labeled "free beef". Just in case you didn't notice.

The Peake Family said...

What a combo! Just have to tell ya, Taylor loves your page. She laughes every time she sees you and your dog. Especially the wet dog.

PS. See your page attracts all fewers, young and old...

It"s me said...

OH my goodness... I am laughing so hard. He looks so happy with the beef. Who knew buying tires gets you beef??

Ben would be all over that... Go thing he doesn't read blogs. HE HE HE.

Well I am glad you are safe and you aren't going to have a blow out! But I am sorry about the cost. I just bought new tires and I am going through the same depression. But at least you got FREE BEEF. All I got was some papers and tires. LUCKY!

It"s me said...

Wow... I can't type and think. Sorry about the typo and that it doesn't make sense!

Jillybean said...

It's not the oddest thing I've seen, however, t is pretty darn odd!