Friday, April 11, 2008

All Better



I picked up my laptop from the laptop hospital today!!! It boots up, nothing is lost (that's an answered prayer right there, I'm tellin' ya), and the screen is quite a bit cleaner than when I last saw it.

Hallelujah and praise the PCLaptop man!!!!

Thoughts of the PCLaptop Man as he's wiping down the screen:


"What's this...oatmeal? Did she seriously eat her breakfast over her laptop? She must've sneezed...good grief...did she lick the screen? Why is there salt down in the keypad? Dang housewives."


I really can't even tell you what was wrong with it. One minute it was working - the next minute it wasn't. Troy (Mr. Gloom and Doom) went on about crashed hard drives, losing everything, compromised data, and whole "we should have been backing up" song and dance.


Thoughts of the PCLaptop Man after Troy admitted that we "don't back up".


"You know, we tell 'em and tell 'em that they need to back up, that the hard drive can crash at any moment and that they will lose EVERYTHING, but do they listen? No. So I gotta tell 'em again today. Will they spend the money to get a backup system? No. I wanna put a virus on their computer - if they don't start backing up within thirty days, the whole thing goes up in smoke. Dang guy that's married to the housewife that eats over her laptop."


We dodged a bullet - everything is still here. For $168.74, they cleaned it up, tuned it up, gave it some updates, checked a disk, and gave it a registry restore. And then gave me a good talking to about backing up. I said my husband would handle it and then I walked out to my car, cradling my laptop, almost giddy with relief and joy (that's right, it was joy. absolute joy over having my computer back. go ahead and judge me).


Thoughts of the PCLaptop Man as I walked out of his store:


"They won't back up. They never do. Look at her...did she just skip? She's happy now, but just wait until it really crashes. She'll be all "Oh, Mr. PCLaptop Man, my whole life is on this computer...help me, help meeeeeeeeee!" And I'll act like I feel sorry for her, but inside I'll be all "Told you so". Yeah, we'll see who has the last laugh. Dang housewives."


It just hasn't been the same without my laptop. Sure there were other computers that I could have used - and I did, a little bit. But my heart wasn't in it, between listening to "are you done yet?" and just missing my computer, I hardly got on at all. Now there are blogs to catch up on, banking to do, emails to send and pictures to upload. It feels good to have it home. All is well and right with my world.


And somewhere, the PCLaptop Man is laughing...

6 comments:

It"s me said...

I am glad you got your lappy back! I don't really know what I would do without mine. I guess I can never quit teaching!!!

Angi said...

I am glad you got your laptop back. Brent has one and I use it but don't like it as well as mine. Oh, well at least your up and running now.

Nora Mair said...

You're back! Yea!

KCK said...

Laughed till I cried over this post. Glad you got your laptop back...are you going to back it up?

sugarbritches said...

I am the queen of crashing computers, not backing up and loosing data. the worst was my downstairs computer, I put all of caydens baby pictures on it, and several birthmom letters etc and years of pictures - most of which I didn't print - then crash. all lost. no back up. I can't even think about it without panicking. I need to take it to a document recovery place to see if they can retrieve anything. But since then I've had to repair and eventually replace 2 laptops. Did I learn and back up!! Why no! I did not. speaking of nothing, did you know that handsome pc laptops partner guy died last year? Not the asian but the other one in the commercials? It was mysterious and I tried and tried to find out how he died but couldn't.

dishes and laundry said...

I feel sick about you losing all those pictures and letters! Yeah, we haven't backed up yet either - I'll never learn.

I heard those document recovery places can cost several thousand dollars!!!

Scandal! I hadn't heard.