Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Sick

Sincere apologies for the following.

The sound is unmistakable - your kid throwing up in the middle of the night. And when it's far away - as in down the hall and in his bedroom, not close by in the bathroom - you just know it's going to be a long night.

There will be laundry. Lots and lots of laundry.

Over the weekend Cam was battling a stomach bug and at 2 am he lost the battle. There was no warning, he insisted, he simply woke up and threw up.

By the time I got to his room, he was standing up on his bed, horrified (and still half asleep), and looking down at the mess that had just come out of him. Cam likes lots of pillows and blankets - he creates a nest of sorts every night - so the damage was pretty big.

There were three pillows and three pillow cases, a blanket and a thick comforter, a fitted sheet, and Cam's boxers, all needing to be washed. That was at least four loads. The mattress needed scrubbing and Cam needed a bath and his hair washed. I wanted a shower too.

But the one who got it the worst, by far, was Oliver. He's been sleeping in Cam's nest for a while now, right up by his head, and trust me when I say that that was the worst place to be at 2 am on Sunday morning. Oliver. Was. Drenched. From head to tail, he was covered!

Now Troy has never been able to handle the cleaning and caring of a vomiting child. He has a sympathy reflex that makes him fairly useless, but that night, he was just going to have to suck it up and help with this. Troy's job was to bathe Oliver and to keep him from cleaning himself. I could hear Troy's faux retching while I tackled the bed and the mattress.

I wiped the bedding, stripped the bed, the washing machine got started, the mattress was scrubbed and sprayed (Febreeze, I love you), and Aaron moved to my bed to escape the smell. After Oliver got his bath (Thanks, Troy...I knew you could do it), Cam got in the tub and cleaned up, and then laid down on the floor on the pallet of blankets that I'd made for him.

I've been doing this whole parenting thing long enough to know the number one rule: Do NOT put a vomiting child into your bed after his bed has been ruined. You will end up with another ruined bed, and this time, it will be yours. Vomiting children sleep on the floor...or even better, in the bathtub.

I started another load of laundry.

We gave Cam some chewable Pepto Bismol, which he promptly threw up - made it to the bathroom this time. Oliver still smelled funky and Cam was crying over his stomach pain. Troy gave Oliver another bath and I headed to Walmart for the good stuff - liquid Pepto. It was close to 3 am.

Now Walmart at 3 am is...interesting. I didn't see any other shoppers, but the place was packed with people stocking the shelves. And anything that's said over the intercom (calling team meetings, etc.) is done in Spanish.

I got the Sick Kid Trifecta: Pepto Bismol, Sprite and Saltines and went through the one open checkout.

"How are you tonight?" asked the checker.

"Well, I'm on a Pepto run at 3 am - I've had better nights."

"Debit? Here's your receipt. Enjoy the rest of your night."

She recited her script, oblivious to my meager attempt at humor. Buenos Noches.

Home again, Cameron swallowed and kept down the medicine. He drank some Sprite and fell asleep, a large bowl by his head. I switched the laundry and started another load. Troy had opened a window in the boys' room to air it out and we so moved Aaron back to his bed.

Oliver slept in our bed, leery of being by Cameron again. Can you imagine the horror of his night? First, being awakened like he was, then two baths. Poor puppy. He needs a breath mint.

And definitely another bath.

11 comments:

pinklady said...

oh. my. goodness. I don't even know what to say.

although I do side with troy on the gag reflex. jesus will be the only one that gets me through my own kids (future of course!)vomiting nights for sure.

(ps: good call with the sleeping on the floor "after"...I'm going to remember that!)

Tesia said...

Eeewww...

dishes and laundry said...

Pinklady! I just sprayed my lunch all over my nice clean screen..."Jesus will be the only one who gets me through..." Hilarious!!!!!

Update: Cam is feeling fine and delights in telling the story about how he didn't want to spread the mess too much, so he just kept throwing up on Oliver again...and again...and again. And Oliver just laid there

pinklady said...

oh my, that oliver is a keeper. at least he had you in mind in the moment and didn't want to spread the "love" all through the house by running off. at least that is the story I'm deciding the believe!

and I'm serious about the jesus comment..."with god all things are possible" right?! ;-) my gag reflex is pretty strong, he has is work cut out for him.

Angi said...

Ok, a bowl ewww, no put a small garbage can next to them with liner, as to just throw away when used. I am glad the boys haven't done that in a while. THANK GOODNESS! Have you seen what my 6' Spencer can put away, then coming back up? Yikes.

Sorry, about Oliver poor thing and Cam.

I did not know that he made nests, Spencer has been doing that for years. Does Cam use a top sheet?

dishes and laundry said...

Yes, Cam makes a nest to sleep in. No top sheet, but he uses this old comforter from JC Penney - it was mine in high school and it's pink and raspberry colored. His big thick comforter is Star Wars - made by Aaron's birth-grandma.

And Pink...so true...I've just never thought of praying at a time like that. I become very business like, barking orders and managing the crisis. I should pray more!

pinklady said...

oh, dishes. don't make the assumption that I'd be praying in the midst of a situation like this. I'm very much like you when I'm in crisis mode..."getrdone" could be my middle name! by no means was I intending to make you think I'm this great pray-er. quite the contrary...I just know that jesus knows my weaknesses (and vomit repulsion) and will strenghten me when needed. thank goodness for that right? :-)

ps: I LOVE the cam nesting plan. sounds really cozy. and his comment that he "didn't want to spread the mess too much" made me smile. what a sweet boy you have!

sugarbritches said...

Oh I have been there!!! Barfing kids is the WORST!! I have this fine-tuned ear that recognizes those rapid swalling noises accompanied by crying. I will bolt upright in bed and know I have about 2 seconds to grab them and run before it's a barf volcano. When Cayden was a baby, he would immediately flip on his back and barf in his face immediately start choking and inhaling. It was SO scary I can't even tell you! Glad he doesn't do that anymore. I have learned the hard way not to move the barfing child. Cayden still sleeps with me (shut up- I know!), I heard the tell tale noises but was too late - barf everywhere. Gave him a bath, cleared off the bed and decided to move to Hillary's bed (she was at college). all is well, for about 1/2 hour, then, tell tale signs, too late, barf all over her bed. Back to the bath, strip HER bed. Move to Cayden's never used bed. repeat performance - back to my bed with new bedding and cayding laying on and enormous garbage bag covered with towels then sheets giving him a 2 foot barf radious that won't destroy the bed. Luckily he's done. Long story, but after that everyone said - why did you move him to another bed? Ummm...it was the middle of the night and not thinking clearly?

Poor Oliver. You better get the dog whisperer in for some counseling for him.

Shauna said...

Oh man, that does not sound fun.
Your Walmart run did make me laugh though. Sure hope Cameron is feeling better.

dishes and laundry said...

Sugarbritches, you crack me up. I've done that so many times - just moving to another bed. Wanting to see how much laundry I can generate in one night.

And no judgement on sleeping with Cayden, LOL. Cam's 11 and he'll still sleep with me when Aaron and Troy are gone. I love it.

Kat said...

Well I got a kick out of this one. Picturing my brother bathing a dog and trying not to throw up all over him gave me warm tingly feelings.

Glad Cam is feeling better. Next time you have this kind of trouble instead of Pepto try Emetrol in my experience if they can't hold the cola syrup down Pepto will be useless. Even a peppermint after dinner mint is good. The mint has a soothing effect. Also less messy if doesn't help.

I have given my kids candy canes from xmas when I was low on cola syrup praying I too would not be vomiting along side them. Not that I am suggesting me and my brother share the whole weak gag reflexes or anything. =)