Thursday, May 22, 2008

Aaron On Housekeeping and Hormones

Aaron, upon walking into the kitchen and finding it clean:

"Sweeeeeet...you did the dishes!"

****************************************************

Aaron, after listening to me vent to Troy (over the phone) about Cameron's general poor attitude and pre-pubescent sulking:

"I used to be the bad* one...and now it's Cam. Cool, huh?"


****************************************************

Aaron dropped an open bottle of pills and they scattered across the kitchen floor. He and I were down on hands and knees looking near the baseboards and using a flashlight to look under the stove. It shone on crumbs and dustbunnies, a juicebox straw and general nastiness.

"Eeeewwwww," I said, "Aaron, this is gross...I'm sorry it's such a pigsty."


"That's okay...we're used to it."

*****************************************************

After an emotional outburst from Cam, complete with stomping feet and a dramatic exit (the hormones, people, the hormones!!!!), Aaron asked,

"What's up with Cam?"

"He's going through a hard time."

"He's being a jerk*."

"No, he's just having some grumpy pre-teen feelings."

"I'm gonna go with jerk* on this."

And I quietly thought in a whispery voice, "Okay, me too."

(Just kiddin'. Cam! Even for a grumpy tween, I think you're great! Super, even. Mama just needs to give you a little space to spread your wings, huh? But in case I forget, cut me a little slack, okay?)

***************************************************


Disclaimer: I have never ever ever called anyone in the family "bad", "jerk", or any other name. Ever.

2 comments:

Angi said...

Jerk, is Spencer and Connor's favorite word to call dad when he is getting after them. But they get a hefty tougue lashing when they do. Then they say we yelled at them. Go figure.

Just wait til Jr. High, I am tellin' ya now. Be ready. It can get ugly.

Is cam in the 5th or 6th grade?

dishes and laundry said...

He's in 5th grade, and I swear that his mood and emotions are all over the place. He's always been such an even-keel kind of a kid - I just don't know what to think.

I will die if they ever call me a name!