Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Fallen Woman

Don't you think that 39 years old is just too old to be falling off your bike and getting all scraped and scabby?
Yeah, me too.

For Mother's Day, I got my bike shoes and clips that allow me to fasten my feet right on to the pedals. I click them into place and it gives me a more powerful and efficient push/pull action. It makes for a fabulous ride. However, if I don't get them clicked out of the pedals before I come to a stop...I will fall. Hard.

It hurts.

On the bright side, I imagine that it looks hilarious.

It also got me tons of sympathy from the little kids I read with at the school. They felt so bad for me and in a show of empathy, pushed up their pant legs and sleeves to reveal their own scabby scrapes. They wondered why an adult would fall off her bike.

I tried to explain about the shoes and the clips and how I was stuck to my bike and couldn't put my feet down (!), but they didn't get it. They just think I'm a klutz.
I'm trying not to pick at it.
Good grief...this happened clear last week. I'm much better at unclicking my feet now. I even went on a big ol' 36 mile bike ride last weekend! More on that (and with pictures!) later.

2 comments:

pinklady said...

ouch. I have this innane fear of those clip-in bike pedals. they make me feel claustrophobic just thinking about them...(shudder). plus, how do they expect a serverly uncoordinated person to utilize inventions such as these? harassment I say, harassment! :-)

dishes and laundry said...

It was very scary - and most of my family and friends think I'm insane, LOL.