Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Doctor, Doctor, Gimme the News

I don't think that doctors realize how we hang on every word they say. And tell other people about it. Words that seem like just casual chit chat to them are the things I replay in my mind over and over, wondering about the underlying meaning.


This first time I had a doctor say an odd thing to me was at a gyno exam shortly after I got married. Any conversation is a little weird when you're naked in a gown and legs in the stirrups. So there I was, and there he was, checking things out with the duckbill, assuring me that the discomfort would only last a minute more. Then he says:


"You have a beautiful cervix."


What do you say to that?


"Oh, sank you, Docktor" (Teri Garr says it, name the movie)


I think I just mumbled a quiet "thanks".


The cervix, in healthy form looks exactly like a pink glazed doughnut. For nearly 19 years, I've harbored a bit of pride over my beautiful cervix. I'm sure you are all envious. I just hope there won't be any of that unfortunate pride goeth before the fall business.


At the other end of physical beauty, however, are my feet. They are short and wide with rough heels, and the toes are, well, odd. They (the toes) are short and wrinkled on the top, and if you look at the bottom, you'll find that there is virtually no length to them. The round toe pad is sitting right next to the ball of my foot. The nails are tiny and curl upwards - nothing much to paint and make semi-pretty. And to make matters worse, the past few years I've needed cortisone shots between my toes to alleviate the pain from a swollen nerve. I wear orthotics. My cervix looks nice though.

So I go to a podiatrist (whom I love, because his shots make the pain go away, and he made me some orthotics that really do seem to be helping), and when he first laid eyes on my feet, he sucked in his breath with a grimace. He didn't even try to hide the look of dismay and horror on his face.


"Wow. Um...Where did you get...these...toes?"


Oh come on! In all his years of looking at feet, he's never seen anything worse than mine? They're not that bad. Or are they?




You can see the discoloration running down the center of my foot from the injections, and the middle toe that is leaning over to the left - he called that a deformity from the swollen nerve.


His words and his physical recoil haunt me.

Another time I was visiting a doctor to run a strep test. That's all - swab my throat, write the prescription and I'd be outta his hair. Instead, he says to me,


"Would you like to do anything about your weight at this time?"

Like all I had to do was ask. Jerk. Gimme my 'cillin.

And my last tale is from my mother. She was in the dentist's chair, getting her teeth cleaned, and the dentist kept (on purpose, I think) aiming the jet of water directly on a tooth. The stream of water then bounced off her tooth and sprayed across her face in a fine mist. He says,

"I love how the water looks, all beaded up on your face like that."

How creepy is that? Very.

Have you ever had a doctor or anyone in that type of position say something weird, inappropriate, or just plain "huh?".

13 comments:

Unknown said...

I, too, have ugly toes and the feet are just not attractive in general!! My toes all sort of fit together like puzzle pieces, and if you pry them apart they retain their puzzle shape! One little toe is completely sideways and the other is sharp on the bottom...I'm not kidding! My kids call it my "knife-toe!" I have mostly tried to hide my feet over the years, but as I've grown older I've decided that nobody much pays attention to my feet!! Getting older is so liberating!!

No one has ever comment on the beauty of my cervix and I'm feeling a little pang of jealousy. It'll pass!

dishes and laundry said...

I have a sharp pinkie toe too!!!
I agree - age can be liberating. I think I'm much more inclined to point out my faults, own them, if you will, as I'm getting older.
And Cori, glad to see you here!

Suz Q Free Tibet said...

I loved your blog!!!! This topic totally hits home to all patients of the world!! I'm going to over share now.. WARNING...In the middle of my first breast exam...while the Dr was examing my chest....he told me that I had nice breasts!!! I was 19 years old and wanted to die!!! To him it probably wasn't anything...but I was humiliated. Now, when I go to the Dr....I think he has a hard time even finding my breasts let alone examing them!!!
Oh...I love to age. Just let me be healthy.

Suz Q Free Tibet said...

Wendy, I love your feet!!!

dishes and laundry said...

See, that's what I'm talking about. How could a doctor think that was an appropriate thing to say? What did you say back? And do you still go to him?

I wonder if our doctors read women's magazine articles about how we are self-conscious about our bodies, so they are trying to be reassuring. Though I don't recall having anxiety about my cervix.

Kristine said...

Love the toes- I bet I could polish those piggies real nice.
I really just want to answer the MOVIE question: Ms. Garr said this to Gene Wilder in YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN. The acent gave it away !!

dishes and laundry said...

You win the fabulous movie trivia prize! As soon as I think of one!

Of course, we all remember what she had been complimented on (or so she thought).
"What knockers!"
hehehe

i i eee said...

I love that movie!

I had no idea your cervix was one to be envied, who knew?

The only thing I can think of that was odd was when Matt, the dermatologist's P.A. asked me to be his leading lady and lover in the film he was making. It was flattering, but since
a) I'm not an actress and
b) I wouldn't feel comfortable playing love scenes with a married man
I had to recline.

He felt kind of bad about it later. He's a nice guy, but I'm currently on the lookout for a female dermatologist to check out all my bodily moles. ;)

dishes and laundry said...

Oh, RC, I hope you meant that you declined, not reclined!

Also, um, why did he ask you that? Not that you couldn't star in a movie , but still.

i i eee said...

Haha! I didn't even catch my typo, how hilarious!

He was hoping to be a filmmaker, and I guess he just thought I'd be perfect for the part.

That's only the second time I was asked to be in someone's movie.

I've also been asked twice to be in a band...even though they had never heard me sing or play an instrument. Funny.

ash said...

I work for a female physician and I see women at their most vulnerable. My favorite is EVERY WOMAN that slides down the exam table to put her feet in the stirrups groans and says, "I hate this!" (or some other similar comment). My question is: who doesn't? And if you do love it, there is probably something wrong with you.

I was having a root canal once (with that awesome laughing gas) and I can remember the dentist and his assistant discussing something totally inappropriate. The only problem was I was so drugged by the time they were done I didn't say anything. And now I can't remember what they were talking about.

dishes and laundry said...

I bet there are lots of times when a patient is out that the conversation turns a little inappropriate - and very possibly about them. Makes me cringe to imagine the dialogue when I have my colonoscopy next month. Don't even want to know!

Tesia said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.