Thursday, August 9, 2007

Buh-Bye

Troy is leaving in a little bit for Wyoming to go to a LAN Party, and that means that I won't have my computer! It's okay though, 'cause I'm heading to California first thing in the morning - it's Cookie Lee Convention time, and I wouldn't be blogging anyway.

Do you know what a LAN party is? I thought it stood for Losers and Nerds, but I was mistaken. It's Local Area Network. Basically, a bunch of people who like to play the same computer games can get together, link all their computers up, and play against each other while they are in the same room. As opposed to playing against each other online, while in the comfort of their own home. I know, doesn't make sense to me either, but Troy and the boys seem to have fun.

At the LAN, there will be about a dozen people, all in the same room, all with computers running and generating heat. It gets hot and stinky, or so I've been told. They play until all hours of the morning and then play again the next day and the next. It can get competitive - teams are formed and old rivalries renewed. Lots of trash talk. They'll be eating all the yummy food that the host's wife, Dorothy makes for them and lots of junk food that will give them all gas and heartburn. Now you want to go too, huh?

Not only is Troy taking my laptop, he takes our old desktop and our new desktop so that both boys can play. He takes the big office chairs, the folding tables, a fan or two (for the smells and the heat), and the cot and all their clothes and stuff. It's a huge hassle - takes every inch of his truck bed to get it all there. But they love it.

Every once in a while, Troy extends the invitation for me to come along. To watch, I guess. I politely decline. Sometimes, not so politely , as in

"Are you kidding me? I'd rather _________________________________". Go ahead and insert pretty much anything here.

Usually when my menfolk leave me like this, I enjoy the solitude, watch whatever television I want (big surprise, I know), maybe go to a movie by myself, get together with some girlfriends, and use my "vacation" at home as an excuse to go off my diet. Cafe Rio is almost always involved. Maybe Panda Express. A Frosty. Or two. I imagine that I will be super productive and clean my house from top to bottom, scrapbook, or work really hard on a YW lesson. Handouts and everything. That has yet to happen.

I used to get annoyed (read: angry and resentful,) when Troy would go on these weekends away - but that was when the boys were too young to go along. Mama needed a break too, ya know? But now, even though I'm not thrilled about the computer games, per se, I love that they are doing stuff together. Male bonding. And I get my occasional weekend with myself. Not a bad trade-off.

Okay, I gotta go. Troy keeps asking if I'm done so he can pack up the computer. I'll be back on Monday. Hopefully with stories.

3 comments:

Queen of Hearts said...

Hope you had a fab. convention. I am loving reading your blog and feel sometimes as if you put into words my very own thoughts and feelings about so much.
I am often a gamers' widow and currently having no children, I do not have the silver lining of bonding.
I hope someday it will be a good thing. For now, I just have to deal and my hubby has to listen to my forked tounge about it all.

sugarbritches said...

Wow, I've never heard of that before! That is really good that they do that. How fun to go to a convention in california too! I don't get to go anywhere anymore. sigh.

Anonymous said...

Wendy, have a great time on your trip to California...Bring me back a catalog of all the new stuff.
As for the gaming Yikes.