Monday, August 13, 2007

Compassionate Service

I have lots of random little stories about things that happened in California, but I'm taking a break from that to relay a story that I heard in California. Permission was given to share this with all of you.

My friend and accomplice, Kristine, was helping out with taking a meal to a family in her ward. She went all out, enchiladas with mexican rice and refried beans as side dishes. She said she always adds green salsa to the beans to give them a different taste than the red sauced dishes. She made an identical meal for her family that they started to eat after the meal had been taken over to the neighbor's house.
Her husband, Mike, takes a big ol' bite of the beans.

"Babe, the beans are funky."

"They have green salsa in them, remember?"

Another bite. "No. Really. They're twangy."

Kristine goes over to the jar of green salsa and takes a whiff. Fermented. Past its prime. Gone over. Turned. Definitely twangy.

The beans were completely inedible. And they'd served them to others.

To call or not to call? What would you do?

6 comments:

sugarbritches said...

How awful! Nothing like poisoning the people you've been asked to serve! I'd call because, even though like you, they'll figure it out in a bite or two that it's inedible, they might just think she's a crappy cook and not that its bad. Plus if they have bad taste buds and eat it they could all get sick. Although...if you never want to get asked again to do a meal....say nothing.

Suzie2 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
FutureRN said...

A-a-a-a-a!!!!!!!! I would just die! I would not only call, but also hasten to retrieve the foul food, arriving with perhaps Panda Express or some other "fast" food!

Unknown said...

You have to call, right? I'd really hate for my neighbors to get sick...'cause they'd tell everyone I did it!!

dishes and laundry said...

I'd better clarify - the meal to the neighbors had already been eaten by the time it was discovered. It couldn't be taken back.

In the end, they did not call, but asked about it the next day. (Everyone was fine) I too would worry about them just thinking I was a bad cook.

Kristine, if it ever comes up, just say your husband does all the cooking! Love ya!

Queen of Hearts said...

I'd be horrified and try to not go inactive, but that's me, making mountains out of mole hills. I think it's a wonderful story to share w/ friends and laugh at yourself. I'd probably not call, but comment later. I wouldn't want them thinking I did it on purpose or that I just didn't know.