Saturday, August 25, 2007

The Match

I DID IT!!! I played my very first tennis match in a league. I also lost both sets in my very first match, not that I was surprised about that, but the thrill of just doing it, and saying that I did it is good enough for me.

On the way there, Troy turned to me and said, "Why are you even doing this? You're the most non-competitive person in the world. Why?"

I couldn't answer. I have no idea why or even how I got into this place. I played tennis at a YW activity once, decided that I liked hitting fuzzy yellow balls, got some racquets for my birthday last year, took a lesson or two, and started playing against the wall at the rec center. That's where Ed found me, playing with a wall. The rest is history. Somehow, I've kept plugging along and it makes me happy - there, that's how I got here.

I played a singles match against the nicest girl in the world today. Her name was Shana and I couldn't have asked for a better person to show me the ropes. Of course I owned up right away to the fact that this was my first time, that I was really a 2.5 player on a 3.0 team, and that I was nervous. She was so sweet, told me to just have fun, and that she'd help me with whatever.
Thanks, Shana.

The first thing that struck me odd about the match was that no one was watching. Except my family. There wasn't even a scorekeeper. I had asked Ed how many people come to these things and he told me usually just a few hundred. He just likes to see me get all flustered. Seriously, no one was there. No one else had any family members to come out and support them. Perhaps playing in a tennis match is only a huge event in my little life. Hmmmm.

The next thing I noticed was that the majority of the women were dressed all cute. I'm glad I'd had the foresight to have a tennis skirt and matching top. Ed didn't think it was important, but I know I played better because I looked like a tennis player.

Now for how I played: I did okay. Really, I did. We played two sets, and Shana won them both. If I had won one of them, we would have played a third. I got some points, Shana just got a whole lot more. She was an excellent player (close to a 3.5) and she had a move that got a point off me every time: She'd wait until I hit the ball back from one side of the court, then she'd send it over, clear on the other side of the court. Killer move. I have no signature moves, unless you count hitting the ball out of the court (gives her a point).

My serving was pretty good (she said)- though occasionally she would get a point simply because I didn't serve well. Consistency is not my strong point.

It was hot - mid 90s. I don't know that I could have played better if it had been cooler, but dang, it was sweltering! We played at 1:30 in the afternoon. Serving on one side had us looking straight into the sun. I kept asking why these things weren't scheduled in the morning. I was sweating and gasping, drinking my warm (gross - gotta bring ice next time) water, and trying to catch my breath. I have to say that this was physically, the hardest thing I've ever done Ever. When it was over, I really didn't feel well for about 15 minutes. So maybe I would have played better in cooler weather. I know that by the second set, I had stopped trying for some of the shots that I knew I'd miss.

Things to remember and work on:
  • try to anticipate my opponent's moves so that I am prepared for them. Or play doubles and let my partner get it,
  • practice serving so I can be more consistent,
  • stop hitting the ball out of the court - this is the spastic part that Ed wants me to control,
  • ice water, lots of ice water,
  • looking cute is important...and part of the fun.
  • Try doubles next time!

I had a blast. I'm so glad I'm doing this., even if I'm not competitive. I don't need to win to enjoy it - just the doing is fine for me. If any of you are competitive, did that just make you cringe inside?

You know though, if I ever did win...I think I might enjoy that too.

Pictures are coming up next!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wendy!! You did it!! I hope that it continues to be fun for you!! And give Ed a big ol' kiss for me!! ;)

dishes and laundry said...

Thanks, Cori. I still miss playing with you on Saturday mornings though.

Unknown said...

I'm a flake!!