Friday, August 31, 2007

Steppin' It Up

Over a decade ago, I was taking a step aerobics class at a little gym called Lady Fitness. It had some weight machines and a big purple carpeted floor where all the classes were taught. The walls were pink, purple and silver - it most definitely catered to women.

The early morning step class was the only one I ever participated in. It was taught on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays by a tiny woman named Vilma. She was from Brazil or Venezuela, somewhere a little more exotic than Utah, and sometimes it was hard to understand her instructions. So three days a week, I went in and did turn-step combos, repeaters, flamingos, grapevines and corner-to-corner knees, hamstrings and kicks. I felt young and groovy, and believe me, I could do the moves..

I loved this class - the dance, the rhythm, Vilma's tricky combinations. It's funny how fitness trends change over the years. Vilma was always trying to switch things up - I remember when she wanted to start adding some free weights to the end of the class, and all of the women balked at the thought of lifting or toning. We didn't want to, but she made us, and now strength training is all the rage. She also started a kickboxing class for us, a couple of years before Tae Bo tapes gathered dust on top of televisions across America. Vilma was ahead of her time.


I went to Lady Fitness for over 5 years, but when Troy started driving truck and not being home every morning, I had to give it up. The club closed soon after, and while I don't know for sure, I sense a connection. I missed doing the step classes.

Now, in another attempt to mix things up in my current exercise madness, I bought a month pass for the classes at my gym. At first I was just trying out the spinning and the weight lifting classes, which are called Power Pump 'n Sculpt, but after a week or so, the step class was calling to me again. I tried it out last week and then again today.

I felt like I was home - minus the purple carpeting and Vilma, of course. It all came back to me perfectly. The music still pulses out a beat that makes me want to exercise, the moves still have the same names, the fans still blow, and I felt like I'd never left the step class.


Except...

I'm older now. Seven years older. And I'm having problems with my feet. Are you sick of hearing about my feet? Sorry. And there is also some tenderness (read: pain) here:



Yes, those are wrinkles above my knee. You have them too. Or you will.


And apparently, I also have this.

I do not recall being troubled by these things when I was stepping 7 years ago. I used to fly over the step, jumping and moving all over the place. Now there are moves I can't or won't do. I take care not to put too much weight on my left foot. I worry about turning on my right knee, and heaven forbid both feet hit the ground at the same time, or the other problem leaks out.

Get it? Leaks! HA!! I gotta laugh about it, or I just might cry over my failing body. Can't laugh too hard, though, or I'll need to go change.

I love the step class, I really do, but it definitely shows me that I've gotten older. I may not be able to keep taking it.

Are there things that you used to do, but now can't? Tell me I'm not alone!

4 comments:

KCK said...

Oh....so many things. I can't jump on a trampoline because of the aforementioned leakage! Not to mention sneezes, coughs, laughing and...oh--square dancing (too much skipping and jumping around). I can't read the small print on medicine because it gives me a headache from trying to focus. I used to be able to sit on the floor doing projects--now I can't stay comfortable without some part of my body starting to ache or go numb. I used to stoop to reach things in low places (good body mechanics, you know). I can no longer do that because the joints in my knees won't put up with the stress and I have difficulty resuming a vertical position. There are days when I feel older on the outside than my inside thinks I should. On the inside--I'm still 25!

Nora Mair said...

I've never liked step because of the loud music and the chaos of all the moves. I do avoid trampolines though and the surprize cough every once and a while has me running...hehe.

Way to go on exercising. Impressive.

Angi said...

I'm not one for the gym...However I do LOVE my tred mill.I feel great after walking up hill and dripping sweat for an hour. Brent always tries to get me to go outside and walk. No way not unless he is with me. And I too have the aches and pains but I noticed they are not as bad since I have been walking. Yeah, now I can keep up with my teenagers, well, sorta.

dishes and laundry said...

I'm glad to be getting older with all of you!
There's a 50 year old woman that teaches weight lifting and spinning at the gym. She said she's sore every day of her life, but it's worse when she isn't active.