Thursday, September 27, 2007

As Requested...Chicken Divan

Okay, enough people (um...two maybe?) asked for my Mom's recipe for Chicken Divan that I thought I would post it. Hope your family likes it as much as I always have. It is the "good enough for company" casserole in my book, I mean, on my plate.



I'm copying this from a pretty little recipe card that my Mom gave to me at one of my bridal showers. I have 15 or so of these cards, each with a recipe that I grew up on. The only thing in this recipe that has changed since my Mom wrote this, is the type of broccoli you use. She used to buy frozen broccoli spears in a square package, and plop it in a pot of boiling water to cook. I don't even know if you can buy broccoli spears anymore - the floret is where it's at. That's the only thing that won't match the original.

*********************************************************

CHICKEN DIVAN
  • Enough broccoli florets to equal 2 square packages of spears. Just put in what you think your family will eat.
  • 6 chicken breasts, cooked and cut into long, thick slices. Or just use tenders.
  • 2 cans Cream of Chicken soup
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Mix the soup, mayo, and lemon juice. Cook broccoli until crisp-tender and place on bottom of a casserole dish. Place chicken on top and pour soup mixture over chicken. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Sprinkle grated cheese on top and bake 10 minutes more.

*********************************************************

That's it! Couldn't be easier. We ate this meal with rolls, a red (cherry or raspberry) jello that had grated apples in it, and a green salad.

When Mom was trying to stretch this to feed more people, she'd cube the chicken and mix it all up in the sauce. I've also seen this where everything is mixed together instead of the layered look that this recipe has. Chopped broccoli, cubed chicken, rice (added, I'm sure, for more stretch), extra sauce, and then the melted cheese on top. Somehow, doing that makes it seem more casserole-y, and less like a Chicken Divan. It would just be Chicken and Broccoli and Rice Casserole. It would still taste yummy, but the presentation is shot.

The best part of this dish is the sauce. It's creamy, lemony, chickeny, and I'd lick the 9x13 pan to get every last little bit.

Let me know how you like it.

6 comments:

Angi said...

Ha ha, we had that for dinner on Tuesday. Connor was dying for it. Spencer hates it, go figure. Your awesome to have jello and a salad. We just have rolls and juice.

dishes and laundry said...

No - my Mom would have made Jello and a salad to go with it. I'd probably add buttered bread. :)

Brandi said...

I'll try it this week and let you know what we think!

Suz Q Free Tibet said...

Thanks for the recipe! Can't wait to make it.

Nora Mair said...

We've had that in the cassarole version. The lemon makes it.

Christine said...

Hey there! Thanks for visiting my website. I see that you know Heidi Moore...she's the best. Hey, I am definitely going to try this one out. I am trying to get some new recipes...the old ones are driving me crazy. Take care.