Sunday, September 30, 2007

If I Were Julie Andrews, I Would Sing About Them

There are a few things in my life that I absolutely love. Yes, my family, yes, the Gospel. But for this post, I'm writing about the material things that I love so so much. Just a few items that whenever I use them, I am so grateful for them and know that I'd miss them very much if I ever had to do without them. 'Cause we are living in a material world, and I am a material girl. I LOVE these things!

These aren't in any particular order - just writing as I think of them.

1. My ipod shuffle. Troy bought it for me last Christmas. Sort of. The gift started out as a big 'ol video ipod and I quickly downsized it to the next smaller one, and then again to the shuffle. I wanted as small as I could get for the gym. Plus, I didn't want to mess with having a screen and too many options - the simpler the better. My ultra-cool and very ipod-savvy sister Rachel helped me get set up ripping songs and downloading from itunes. I've filled it with lots of fast, hard rhythm songs - lots of 80's and and a surprising amount of Aerosmith - stuff to keep me moving on the elliptical.

2. My Physician's Formula Mineral Wear makeup. Love this stuff. I have rosacea - red skin on my cheeks that will flare up and glow if I get hot, eat spicy or hot foods, take a hot shower or bath, get nervous, angry, or have to speak in front of people. Sometimes it flares up for absolutely no reason at all. Yeah, no creamy, smooth complexion for me. But this mineral makeup does an amazing job of evening out my skin tone. And, it's super easy to apply. When I first started using it, I was so giddy about it, I'd put it on one half of my face and show Troy the side-by-side difference. "Can you tell, can you TEEEELLLL?" And he'd sort of nod and say "uh huh".

3. Tivo. I still love it, even though it betrayed me last week. Twice. I missed the first episode of Dancing with the Stars because it thought that one of Troy's programs had a higher recording priority than mine. As if. We've had a little talk and hopefully that won't happen again. The second time that things went awry, it was sort of my fault. With all the season premieres and new time slots, I was just asking too much. Tivo missed the premiere of House, but taped the second episode of DwtS and The Biggest Loser for me. Like all relationships, sometimes you have to readjust your expectations, so that's what I'm doing. I love my Tivo, but there will be some trust issues for a while.

4. Vidalia Onion Chopper. Used it today, in fact. You can read about my love of this As Seen On TV kitchen tool here.

5. My laptop. I got it last Christmas too. All through our marriage, Troy has liked to give me "grand gesture" kind of gifts - and I routinely return them. Too expensive, a smaller one will do (see #1), don't need it, etc. But this. Oh, I so wanted this! I love it every time I sit in front of it. The mouse is never sticky. It is mine.

6. My Copper Pot. A couple of years ago, I found it at the DI. I think it cost $3. It is so heavy and so old, and I imagine that someone else used to love it too. I use it just one month out of the year for cooking. I make toffee at Christmas time in it, and it turns out perfectly, every single time. So this one I don't use very often, but when I do, I'm so glad that I have it, and I remember that I love it all over again. The rest of the year, it sits on top of my cupboards, looking all rustic and decorative. Okay, I love it then too.



7. My new Camera. I got it for my birthday. It's super small, with a big screen, and rechargeable batteries! I'm still learning all the functions and the whole when to flash and when not to flash rules. It lets me take pictures up close like this:

Careful. If you blink, you'll get pollen on your eyelashes.
There's also a feature that will make the water up at Bear Lake super blue, and one that will make pictures taken in the snow super white. Can't wait to try those out.

I really really love my new camera 'cause it lets me capture the people I love. See, I'm not completely materialistic.



Okay, so my list might not include the raindrops on roses and the whiskers on kittens - but I do happen to love my own bright copper kettle. Warm mittens aren't bad either. Just try to get that song out of your head now.
Keep humming, and tell me,
What are a few of your favorite things?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

No one's gonna comment? Okay, I'm in!!

I LOVE my iPod shuffle!! It's tiny and green and I got matching earphones!! I can listen to Bare Naked Ladies and Maroon 5 to my hearts content!!

I LOVE my Saucony sneakers. I'm not running these days, but I am walking and my shoes make my feet happy, even if the rest of me is wheezing!

I just got a new camera two days ago...don't know if I love it yet, but I'll take it to Disneyland and it can prove itself to me!

This might sound nutty, but I love my van! It's old and beat up and not at all pretty, but it gets me around and never betrays me! Parts of it are breaking off and the side door doesn't open from the inside, but it's been a loyal pal!! We used to call it Vanna White ('cause it's a white van, that's why!) but now it's not so stylin'....and yet, I love it!!

Suz Q Free Tibet said...

Cor-I love that you love your van!
Wend- Your chopper!!
I would have to say my most favorite things are ....My caller ID and having a cell phone with my Scrabble game on it.

dishes and laundry said...

Cori - we love some of the same things! I bet my feet would love those sneakers too. Have to get me a pair.

And Suz - I knew you would put your phone! I also thought you'd put your new book series with the vampire.

Kristine said...

I'm late again but here goes:
My BIG RED Kitchen Aid mixer, my hot tub, my wedding ring, my poodle and Old Navy flip flops.

When the dog bites....

dishes and laundry said...

Kristine! I have a red mixer too - but not a Kitchen Aid...the other brand. Do you call yours Big Red?

And you do have a very cool poodle and a very nice ring.

Suz Q Free Tibet said...

Yes! The Vampires!!
Twilight,New Moon,& Eclipse! I am in love....