Thursday, September 13, 2007

Aggression Soup

Last winter, also known as soup-making season, I bought one of these:


It is, hands down, my favorite kitchen tool.
It chops up veggies so fast and furious, I'm recommending it to everyone I know. There is a small amount of prep to get things in a choppable size chunk, but it is so worth it. The best part is slamming that lid down. You have to use a fair amount of force, and when you pair that with an "Uuuhhhh" or a "HiYahhh", it releases all kinds of stress and aggression. Sometimes the slam down chop is so powerful that my body is lifted in a triumphant little jump at the end.
It seems very sturdy and the blades are staying sharp. And for only $19.99, I wouldn't even mind if I had to replace it once a year. It is that much fun.
I pulled it out the other day, craving some soup and feeling the need to chop. Now this is not a recipe blog - I'm more of a throw-it-together kind of a gal. If I've got it on hand, it's going in the soup. I really just want to show what this little gadget can do.
Are you ready?



One gigantic onion, quartered.

4 chops, no tears. This thing was made for onions.


Couple of these.

Whoa. That's a whole lotta green pepper.

A handful of baby carrots.


They aren't super uniform, but they are the
perfect size of chunky.

Just a few stalks of celery.

Three slamming chops, that's all.
And there's the beginning of some beautiful soup.
Perfectly chopped, perfectly chunky.
And I am stress-free.
I turned this particular vat o' veggies into a Southwesterny-type soup. I added chicken broth, canned tomatoes with green chilies, corn niblets (don't settle for anything less!), black beans, taco seasoning, and cilantro. Lots of cilantro - I love that stuff. Love to say it, love to chop it (by hand, so I can really smell it), love to add it to my soup. And some salt, 'cause I love that too.
While all of that was simmering, I just had to turn my attention back to my chopper. Second only to the aggressive chopping action, I love to clean it when I'm done.


There's a handy tool made especially for that.
This will satisfy every tweezing, picking, pulling and
cleaning obsession you might have.
And then my soup was done and it was so delicious, I forgot to take a picture of it. Total anti-climactic ending, so it's a good thing this isn't a recipe blog. Trust me though, it was a beautiful soup. Made possible by the Vidalia Chop Wizard. I hope you all get one for the upcoming soup season.
What is your favorite kitchen tool?




6 comments:

Unknown said...

Where can we get this amazing tool?

dishes and laundry said...

Even though it says "As Seen On TV", I have also seen it at Kohl's and Walmart. I'm guessing that you could get it at any major store. I really do love it.

wahwee said...

Looks like a cool tool. I LOVE soup! I am so excited that we are heading into soup season. In fact, last night we had taco soup and tonight we are having the leftovers.

One of my favorites is homemade brocolli cheese soup. I also love homemade vegetable beef soup. But, you can't have soup without bread. I love bread. That is one of my weaknesses.

dishes and laundry said...

Mmmmm...bread. Maybe I will have a recipe blog.

I've had your vegetable beef soup - yummy!

Kristine said...

Oh Man, that killed me.
It hurts me to admit this:
Recently Michael & I saw this product on TV. We laughed and scoffed. Now, I am filled with chagrin.

dishes and laundry said...

Oh, don't mock the chopper till you've tried it! I've laughed at a lot of the "as seem on tv" things too, but I swear, this thing is the bomb!