Sunday, September 16, 2007

Happy Anniversary Honey, or, Let's Take a Look at Some Changing Hairstyles and Fluctuating Weight

Today is my 19th wedding anniversary! WooHoo! To celebrate, I'm spending the whole day going through old pictures, scanning and then uploading them, and blogging about them. Troy's downstairs somewhere, doing something with the boys. It's togetherness like this that has made our marriage so good.

Our love story began in the spring of 1988. I was 19, Troy was 21. We fell in love and decided to get married, even though we were both earning just $4.50 per hour.

This is our engagement photo. I actually have a few pimples on my chin, but it was only 1988, and Photoshop didn't exist. Any guesses on how high my bangs are? Three inches? Four?


And then we were married. I was two weeks past my 20th birthday. My parents had told me that they wouldn't pay for a wedding if I got married before I was twenty.



I think I had a fresh perm. I loved my veil. Loved it.
If you look closely, you can see Troy's fake Swatch peeking out under his sleeve.



Maybe a year later, and we're both a little more roundish.
Troy is sporting a bit of a mullet and a Mr. Rogers sweater.
My dress was black velvet, and ...oh... I think it's still hanging in my closet.
The shoulder pads were so big, they couldn't fit them in the photograph.



This is one of my favorite pictures of us. Dang, we look good.
It was taken after our first diet as a married couple.
In a gesture to show his love and devotion to me, Troy started perming his hair.
And I liked the green v-neck sweater.
The white bow in my hair was also worn in the engagement shot.
You're going to go look now, aren't you?






Have mercy, look at those perms!
It took two scrunchies to hold the sides up.
Cream colored v-neck sweater for Troy.
Weight's back on.



This would have been late 1995 - the picture was taken to submit with our adoption papers. Troy's still perming and has added a beard. Sort of.
My curls are a bit softer, but still...
Jeffrey is the best thing in this picture, and he won the heart of Cameron's birthmom.



This is another favorite of mine.
It's shortly before we got Cam - I remember,
because this was how my hair was when he was a newborn.
Enough with the perms, Troy. Sheesh.
And I'd lost some weight.
I swear, I can date any picture by my hair or my weight.
This was 11 years ago.




Now we jump ahead nearly 8 years. 'Cause once the kids came, there are no pictures of just the two of us. Swear it. This was 3 years ago.



The perming years and high bangs have ended. Whew!
Enough said.




And here we are today, on our 19th anniversary.




Let's try that right next to each other. Wow.
There's been a lot of love and laughter, heartache and tears, immeasurable joy, gain and loss, and lots and lots of hair products. Mostly love.




I love you, Troy. Thanks for 19 wonderful years.

11 comments:

Angi said...

Congratulations!! I loved the journey to the past. I remember I gave Troy a perm once, wow that was a long time ago. I also remember big hair. I had big hair too. I also loved The pic with Jeff. It made me a little sad for you. Did you get misty eyed?
Glad you shared with us.

Troy said...

Thank you Wendy for that wonderful gift. It is nice to see we are aging well. (especially you) I am the luckiest man in the entire world! Thank you for the best 19 years of life, and I look forward to the eternities. You are a great friend and Mother. I Love You with all my heart and soul.

Suz Q Free Tibet said...

You guys ROCK! Happy Anniversary!Who took the picutre of you guys kissing....Cam...Aaron? LOL

i i eee said...

Happy Anniversary! May you never have any more perms in your future. Tee hee!

Anonymous said...

That was the sweetest thing ever Wendy. You have now won the wife of the year award! But i must start by saying nobody had higher bangs than me! Trust me or just ask anyone. The thing that impressed me the most was your devotion to pictures together. WE have no pictures together I swear. I avoid being in any pictures or I am taking them. If I were to die my poor children would wonder if they even had a mother because there are no pictures of me! I am very impressed wendy. Happy anniversary Troy and WEndy!

Kat said...

You guys are going to make me cry *sniff* *sniff* oh you might mention to Troy he is a little frosty around the beard, never mind I will do it next time I talk to him *evil laugh*

wahwee said...

Loved the post. I am impressed with all of your couple pictures. Mike and I have our engagement and wedding photos (a given). A couple of years ago we had family pictures taken by a photographer. Included in those photos is what we call our "obituary photo". Will work if we die together (hopefully) or one or the other can easily be cropped to fit the circumstance. Not meant to be morbid, but funny.

You guys are a great couple! I believe you look better now than you did 19 years ago. Did you do anything fun?

What plans do you have for your big 20???

dishes and laundry said...

Thanks, everyone. We did have a nice day - church and an evening at my parents - but at least we were together. Dinner out together will have to be another night.

We did have a lot of just us pictures - before the kids came. I think I had a package of some sort from Royal Photography, and so for a while we did a yearly sitting. Plus, we had over 8 years without the kids - what else were we going to take pictures of? Then the kids came, and never again.

Wahwee - I love that you already have the obit photo! And I don't know what we'll do for our 20th - lots of pressure to make it a big whooptedoo. Everyone is asking that.

BusyBez said...

LOVE the picts. Thanks for sharing.

Kristine said...

The perm industry must have suffered a financial blow when you two quit your addiction.

Belated Congratulations
on 19 years.
What an accomplishment.
You two are the
2nd best married
couple we know.
Love, Mike & Kristine

Nora Mair said...

The perm industry suffered but the coloring and products now days I'm sure make up for it! Congrats on 19!