Friday, September 21, 2007

Beef - It's What's For Dinner

I've been cooking ground beef all afternoon. 8 lbs. of 90/10. In a fit of "I've gotta make some changes around here", I'm trying to do better on what I feed my family for dinner. Enough with the cold cereal!





Troy's been gone in the evenings for so long and I've really gotten out of the habit of regularly cooking dinner for me and the boys. Like a really good, well balanced meal. Too often, I'm eating something that the boys won't touch, and they have been perfectly happy with cold cereal, scrambled eggs, fruit smoothies, pancakes (um..breakfast?), you know, fast and easy. They eat McDonald's or Wendy's at least once a week. Sometimes, I run water over frozen shrimp until it's thawed and we eat it with cocktail sauce and crackers. My Mother must be hanging her head and denying my existence.





And when I do have the time/energy/drive to cook something, what's in the freezer? Frozen blocks of ground beef. Yes, there's the microwave, but it still feels like dinner is a hour away. And Little Caesar's - 2 minutes, tops. A bowl of Life - 20 seconds.





We've gotta be fast - there's homework and reading and tennis and Young Women's and blogging and bedtime routines and of course, all the television to watch, now that the new fall season is starting. Yeah, I know I should start thinking about dinner a whole lot earlier in the day. Pull the meat out, stick something in the crockpot, but lately I just haven't been that organized. And I have stuff to do.





Well, all that changed today. I've got 8 pounds of cooked, ready to go, ground beef in the freezer downstairs. I can whip up spaghetti, sloppy joes, tacos, burritos, hamburger soups, you name it - I've got the ground beef for it. Next time, I'll take it step further and season the meat and label the bags! I've got my go-to meals for when I run out of time/energy/drive. I'm so excited!




We're having tacos tonight. If I can keep this up, maybe Cameron won't look like this:









What are you having for dinner tonight?

&

Do you have any go-to meals that your family enjoys?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yikes! Feed that boy.

Suz Q Free Tibet said...

I too, feel like you. Too busy to cook. I recently found some Marie Calendar meals to put in the slow cooker. It had everything! Just add water. I only have to be organized enough to put in the crockpot in the morning. To my surprise, my family loved it!
I absolutely hate to cook! It is also very difficult for me to find "healthy & fast" meals that my whole family will enjoy. I'm often eating something different than my family.
Wend, you have seen from your own eyes what Bri likes...meat & fat!

dishes and laundry said...

Mmmm, who doesn't love some good meat and fat? Bacon is yummy!