Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Random Stuff From School

As I work with my little reading groups, we sit at a long table in a common wash-up area. I have to sit on tiny chairs so that my legs fit under the desk. This puts us all very close together. Sometimes I lean even closer to try and get some good eye contact, making sure that the kid is paying attention.

We were sounding out the word "spring". First we did the "s" sound. Then I was really trying to enunciate and show them how it would sound when they added the "p" sound. I leaned forward and gave my best "sp". Three little boys all leaned towards me and did a "sp" right back.

"Sp" is also the first sound in "spit".

**********************************************************

My next group was three little girls. I still haven't decided if I like splitting them up girls/boys. As it is, I have a funny, super-charged group of spitting boys, and a well-behaved, sweet group of girls. I wonder if it would be easier to mix it up a little.

We were reading the same book as the boys, The Farm in Spring, and I was being careful to keep a safe distance as they sounded out words. The book was a simple walk-through of what you can see at a farm in the Spring: I see a brown horse and two foals...I see a black dog and three puppies...I see a grey cat and four kittens, etc. At the sight of every baby farm animal, the girls would just melt and sigh at the utter cuteness of the bitty little thing. They'd ooh and aaahh and try to tell me about any real life baby animals that they'd seen. I'd rein them back in so we could keep on reading. Even though I love all their stories, we've gotta keep reading.

Then we came to "I see a red hen and six chicks". After the initial "ooooooh" from all of them, one girl launched into telling me that her Dad takes her to some guy's house to see the rooster fights. Rooster Fights!

Okay, reading time is OVER. I love this stuff! This is what she told us:

It's her Dad's favorite thing to do.
It was when they were in Mexico.
It's kind of bloody.
She feels sorry for the roosters, but her Dad just likes it. A lot.

Reading with the kids just doesn't get any better than this!

I know we have a lot of teachers and people that work with kids out there...

What are the funniest, most awesome things you've ever been told by a kid?

8 comments:

Angi said...

DON'T EVER TOUCH ME, MY MOM IS THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN TOUCH ME!!! Wow, he will not ever have a problem with bad people.

Or how about from the same kid. I caaaan't do my worrrrk. I juuuusssttt caaannn'tt. I'm not smart enough.

Two kids in my sis-in-laws class. Not what they said to me but to each other on a piece of paper. You're a $&%$#@, and the other said no you're a $#@%$#. And they spelled the words correctly. YIKES!! Time for in school suspension!!

Kristine said...

Julia, now 8, once told me her friend swore at school and said the "S" word. I was concerned that she actually knew what that was.
I told her to say a word that rhymed with the bad word.
She thought for a second, then whispered "Bammit."
She still can't spell to save her life.

It"s me said...

Earlier this year my class was talking about eating healthy and we talked about a balanced diet. Well one darling boy raised his hand and said, "I know what I balanced diet is. My mom is always on one. She says she is as fat as a cow!"


Good times. Children are so honest. My favorite thing actually happened last year. One of my students said, "Mrs. Olsen... Your hair just doesn't look so good today." They keep it real!

Unknown said...

Wow, I need to watch what I say in front of the kids!

Mrs. J said...

Two little boys were talking earlier this week and one said that his mom had had surgery. The other said oh like on her knee or something. To which the little one said, "no she had all her girl parts taken out." So when I met with this mother for parent teacher conference this week and she told me that she had been able to be home with her son because she had had surgery all I could think was, "yep you had all your girl parts taken out." :)

dishes and laundry said...

Oh Hahahahahahahahaha!!!! All of 'em!

And I really really hope that she has some girl parts left.

BusyBez said...

Love that story! I'll have to think up one to share. I'm sure I've got 'em. Just can't think right now.

Suz Q Free Tibet said...

Oh...this is so late in making a comment...Here's my favorite:

In a kindergarten class there was a child drawing on the table. One of the other kids said not to draw in it because the teacher owns the table. The other kid said, "The teacher doesn't own the table. because the principle that owns the SCHOOL." The other child said, "The Principle doesn't own the school....JESUS OWNS THE SCHOOL!"

My other favorite:

When a child told me that I have a mustache.....lovely.....