Tuesday, October 23, 2007

You Can Keep Reading, Just Promise You Won't Judge Me

Last night I was tired. Really tired. I'd spent the evening catching up on my Tivo, and as usually happens when I lie down on the couch, I get really sleepy. Sure, I'd watched Marie Osmond fall down (over and over and over again!), and while that was enough to keep me alert for a while, by 10:30 I'd had it. Time for Mama to go to bed!


Unfortunately, the boys were still up, reveling in their off-track from school status. This is where you can't judge me. When they are not in school, I become very lax in putting them to bed at a decent hour. They also get to sleep in, since I leave for the school long before they get up. Yeah, we don't have a whole lot of structure. You're not judging, remember?


But now I want to go to bed. I start whining to the boys.
"Guys, I've gotta get up early. Come on. Go brush your teeth and let's say prayers so I can lay down with Aaron."

I lie in Aaron's bed every night for 5 minutes, plus I stay in the basement until he falls asleep. Add that to the teeth and prayers, and I'm looking at 11:30 before my head can hit my pillow. I whine louder.

Cameron stands in front of me and with complete seriousness, says,

"You go ahead and go to bed. I'll put him down."


Huh? Oh, I must really be tired, did he actually say that?


"What?"

"I'll get him to bed before midnight, I promise."

I thought of my alarm clock going off at 5:30, and all of a sudden, this didn't sound so bad. You betcha. I shrugged my shoulders.

"Okay...thanks Cameron. Give me a kiss and tell Aaron to come tell me goodnight."

And then I went to bed.


When I got up this morning, I went into Cameron's room to check on him. I found that he had indeed put his brother to bed - right next to him. They had brought Aaron's bedding up from the basement and made up a little corner of the bed for Aaron.

These are my boys, sleeping side by side,
ages 10 3/4 and 8 1/2.

Could they be any cuter? They've done this before.




I guess co-sleeping has always been going on at our house.


They napped together as a baby and a toddler


And as they grew older.



Jeffrey was always helpful, making sure that the baby wouldn't fall off the bed.



He was a furry, patient, body pillow.

Heck, even Troy enjoyed the occasional group nap.


I don't know, there's just something about seeing the people you love the most, curled up together, sleeping peacefully. Makes me want to cuddle up with them.

Or take their picture.

Who do you like to cuddle up with?



.

10 comments:

It"s me said...

That is so cute! When I got married I had serious issues because I still slept with a stuffed dog. Sometimes it still creeps in bed with us.

Angi said...

I dib Skip or is it the other way around? He dibs me every night. Even if I sneak into bed very quietly so he can't hear the covers pull back. It sometimes makes me crazy because after two hours he gets out shakes his ears and then climbs back under the covers.

Oh, but I love that little guy.
Happy birthday almost Skip.

Elise said...

Love this, Wendy! That is so cute! I cuddle up with Dan, except when I'm pregnant and I cuddle up with about 7 pillows and he can't touch me!

ash said...

Sometimes it takes FOREVER to get the girls to sleep. I get SO frustrated. But the second I hear their breathing get slower my heart melts and I just want to grab them and snuggle them all night long.

That is what these pictures remind me of.

Brandi said...

Those pictures are so cute! I don't have any like that. I can't believe you have so many. I especially love the last one. You have such a sweet family.

dishes and laundry said...

Welcome, Sarah - I don't know that I've ever seen you on here. Nothing wrong with the stuffed dog! I slept with my baby blanket until college!!!

Angi - we slept with Jeffrey until he couldn't get on the bed anymore. Happy Birthday, Skip!!

Elise, I'm a pillow-hugger myself - even w/o being pregnant.

Ash - I feel for you. Sleeping issues can be frustrating. Before you know it, Olivia will be putting Lucy to bed for you.

Thanks Brandi. I do have lots of sleeping pix - though none of me, hehehe. Cam wasn't too happy about the most recent pic of him - until he saw Troy with the binky and realized that his picture wasn't so bad.

BusyBez said...

Ohhhhh! This is my FAVORITE post you have ever done! Thanks for sharing those photos. They are wonderful. People always look so sweet when sleeping. My mom always sad on bad days, it was her fav. to come watch us (her kids) sleep.
I like cuddling up with my hubby, but not on warm nights, ewwww.
I also like to cuddle my bird. He loves his mommy. He'll burrow into my shirt and snuggle up to my heart. Then he makes kissy sounds. It's super!

Suz Q Free Tibet said...

Did you sneek the binky in Troy's mouth? He is so cute!

Suz Q Free Tibet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Suz Q Free Tibet said...

Sorry my comment got put in twice!