Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Shopping with Edward

During the summer, I'm a flip flop girl. I like the on and off ease, the fun colors, the pricetag, everything. I paint my toenails, shave nearly every day, rub on the self-tanner, and generally try to pretend that I have cute feet and legs that should be seen. I ignore the reasons why I should lay off the flip flops and just try to look summery and breezy and carefree in my footwear. Flip flops do that. Avia Crosstrainers, size 7, wide width - so the orthotics fit and my toes won't feel pinched - do not.


But now that Fall/Winter is here, I'm going back to wearing the Avias every day, all day. It's better for my feet - all the right kind of support and orthotic-y goodness - but I just can't get over the color. They're white and blue, perfect for the gym, but they just don't look right with my clothes. Most of what I wear from September through April begins with a pair of dark blue jeans. Pair that with a dark top, even something casual, and those bright white tennis shoes really mess up the whole "look" of the outfit.

I had a couple pairs of super cheap shoes in the back of my closet - black and brown. I tried wearing those, and while they looked much better than the big whites, I could tell from the minute I put them on that I was hurting my feet.

And yes, I have made the connection between my closet filled with super cheap shoes from Payless and Walmart and my flip flops from Old Navy and the misery that is my feet. I'm trying to do better. My philosophy used to be: as many cute shoes for as little money possible. Now I just need something that won't hurt me. Sidenote: I probably need to get another shot between my toes soon. I will document and report back.


I watch Dancing With The Stars, and my second thought is "how can they wear those shoes? Aren't they in agony?". My first thought is "how are those clothes staying on?". Seriously, it's mezmerizing. Especially her.


Okay, back to my feet.


So I'm complaining to Troy about how I just can't look cute when I have to wear athletic shoes when I'm not being athletic. So guess what he did? He took me shopping!

It was my own little Pretty Woman experience. I was Vivian (only not) and he was Edward (only not), taking me to the fancy store to shop and spend an obscene amount of money (really not). But still. A girl can dream.


He took me to Famous Footwear (right next to Payless, the culprit behind my foot problems), sat me down on a bench and brought me shoes to try on! Lots and lots of shoes - all in blacks and browns - nice colors to go with nice Fall/Winter clothes. He admired and complimented as I paraded up and down the aisle, walking it out, getting a feel for them, trying to find the perfect shoes for my needy feet. He didn't complain about me wanting to try on at least twenty pairs, and he wrapped and put back the ones that just wouldn't do. And when it came down to choosing between a black pair and a brown pair - he simply looked into my eyes and said what every girl dreams of hearing:

"We'll just get both."

My Payless mind was horrified, but my feet rejoiced. At least it was buy one, get one 1/2 off.
Wanna see?


Now I'm not saying these are super high fashion, fancy, ultra-hip and cool shoes. Just saying it was my Vivian moment. And Vivian has never had herself a pair of New Balance shoes for casual wear, and she's sure never had a pair of Skechers before.
Her kids have, but she hasn't.


These are just some basic black everyday kind of shoes. That don't hurt me.



And then the Skechers. I love these.



They have the tiniest bit of heel to make me a little taller, a good sturdy sole, and they are a wonderful shade of brown to go with 50% of my wardrobe. The black ones will take care of the other 50%. They look so cute peeking out from the bottom of my bootcut jeans.


The next day, I was walking around the house in my perfect, new, comfortable, brown Skechers (who's got the Skechers now, boys? Your Momma, that's who!), and this is what Troy says to me.

"I was surprised that you got those since they look so chunky on your feet."

Huh? Edward never would have said that to Vivian. It's like saying

"I can't believe you chose those jeans since they make your butt look humongous."

or

"I wouldn't have imagined you choosing that haircut since it makes your face look like a pumpkin."

I told him I was going for the chunky look. Chunky is hot.

And comfortable.

What are your feelings about footwear?

9 comments:

Angi said...

I had my Vivian moment on my birthday when Brent bought me my shoes from the Bass outlet. I am for comfort first then style. But I usually head for the boys section. I always get something very comfy, in a boys size 5 which ends up being a womens size 7. The new ones are so cute and I get complements on them.

Then Edward, um, Brent bought me the most darling bag from Wilson's. It is red and is stiff leather to hold all my crap without falling out. I LOVE my new bag.

He really is my "EDWARD".

Thanks Brent.

Suz Q Free Tibet said...

Wendy- I totally noticed your new shoes today at work! But, our boss was right there so I didn't say anything. You looked adorable in those shoes today....I'm not just saying this...I thought to myself...man I wish I had those shoes....You go girl!!

Mrs. J said...

I am totally about comfort before style. My girls try very hard to get me to buy "clacking" shoes. The ones that cause in grown toe nails, cut off all of the circulation, and make for a very tired mom, but.... are very stylish. Its a no brainer for me, I'm on my feet all day I go for what feel good. I checked out your feet today too. The shoes are great.

Amber said...

I, unfortunately, go for the style. I have permanent scars on the backs of my heels from wearing very stylish, very uncomfortable shoes in high school!

ash said...

I'm all about quantity vs quality. I'm hoping this doesn't catch up with me too soon. Have you always had feet problems or did it slowly develop?

Oh, and I have a theory on Edyta. I'm pretty sure somewhere in her DWTS contract it states that she is never to cover any more than 20% of her body. PUT SOME CLOTHES ON!

(Although if my body was that awesome and I didn't really have any clothing morals I may think about it?)

It"s me said...

I am still into the stylish (as Raimee would say) "clacking" shoes. I really hope it doesn't catch up to me... but I am sure someday it will.

I am going through this phase because through my whole life I have always been the type to choose comfort over style..

But I have discovered heels are terribly fun.

dishes and laundry said...

My foot problems developed after spending 5 years doing in-home daycare - basically going barefoot on a hard kitchen floor. Not good for the feet.
The podiatrist also says that I have a bad bone structure in my feet.

Unknown said...

I also go for quantity, not quality. I love to have lots and lots of options of shoes in my closet. But, it looks like you got 2 great pairs of shoes. And sometimes our "Edwards" have not so Edward moments. Just pretend he didn't say it.

Unknown said...

I LOVE SHOES! Did I type that loud enough? I love cool looking shoes, but I am old enough now that I just WONT buy shoes just 'cause they look cool.
They have to look cool and FEEL cool!!!

I love your new shoes Wendy!!