Wednesday, November 28, 2007

For Adults Only - Grown-Up Stuff Revealed

It's not that I'm thinking that some of you are gathering your children and reading my little blog together, though it could happen. I'm always calling my boys to the computer to check out something of interest over on Pioneer Woman's ranch. I'm just saying, make sure the kiddies are in the other room - I don't want to be the one giving them this adult information.

Today's topic is...

Santa.

Well what did you think it was about? Sheesh.

I don't remember anything terribly remarkable about when I "found out", - though it was a surprise. I wasn't so old that I had my own inklings of what the truth was. I wasn't scarred or angry, and I didn't discover my parents putting out gifts or anything like that. I think the information was just passed on very matter-of-factly by my parents. I accepted that little turn of events and went on with my life. No big deal.

So why has it seemed like such a big deal to let my own kids know what's really going down on Christmas Eve?

For starters, we've done the whole Santa thing wrong. Santa brings the majority of the gifts, the coolest gifts, the gifts that we told the boys we couldn't afford. Santa has been responsible for all the fabulous Christmas mornings. If I had to do it again, I would have Santa bring one gift and have the kids know that the rest came from Mom and Dad. Face it, I want at least some of the credit. Plus, the kids thought that Santa, in his magical glory, could bring anything, resulting in wish lists that were endless.

Now don't get me wrong, I have loved watching my kids suck up the magic of Santa Claus. We've taken them to sit on his lap for pictures, set out the cookies and milk, bought real carrots for the reindeer (as opposed to the carved baby carrot things that I usually buy), and done all we could to perpetuate their belief in Kris Kringle. I've also threatened to "call Santa and just let him know" how the boys have been acting.

I've nurtured this belief, the idea of Santa. I've made him as real as possible. How do you take that away?


Actually, Cameron is (finally) among the non-believers. He's almost 11, so it's about time. Two years ago, when most of his friends and classmates were having reality Christmases, Cam was still steadfast in his beliefs. And who could blame him - Santa had been bringing a major haul for as long as he could remember - I'd keep believing too. It was around this time that I was feeling like my kids were just a touch on the greedy side, and I was wanting to be done with Santa - at least with Cameron.

We were in the toy section at Walmart, and Cameron looked around and commented that everything he had put on his list for Santa could be bought right there. The whole busy elf scenario flickered through his brain.

I got down on his level, gently gripped his shoulders and said,
"Think about it, Cameron."

But he chose not to, and instead, kept right on believing. Aaarrrghh.

His true moment of clarity came a few months ago when he saw me cleaning out my dresser drawer. There, sitting on my bed, was a small pile of teeth that supposedly had been collected by the Tooth Fairy. Cameron looked at the teeth, looked at me, grinned from ear to ear, and said,

"You little liar. You. Little. Liar!"

We laughed together, hugged a bit, and then I asked,

"So if the Tooth Fairy isn't real...can you think of somebody else that isn't real?" I was trying to be very clear.

"Santa?" he said, still grinning.

And then he admitted that he'd been pretty sure Santa wasn't real for a while. How long had he been on to us? I swore him to secrecy as far as Aaron was concerned and he was all for that. His only two questions were if he could help lay out the gifts, and (of course) would he still get the same number of presents. Yes. Yes.

So for this year at least, Aaron remains a believer. Cameron is wickedly pleased to be in on this adult knowledge. Everyone's happy.

How did you find out about Santa?
How did you tell your kids?

8 comments:

ash said...

Jared's best friend Mike told him that Santa wasn't real when they were about 7 years old. This was obviously very upsetting to Jared and after screaming at Mike that "he was real, he'd seen him!" he ran into your mom's room to tell on Mike. Your mom's reply: Sit down, Jared.

I, on the other hand, was looking for something in our storage room closet and found some boxes all stacked up. I looked inside and saw movies and hair clips and other stocking stuffers. When Christmas rolled around I saw that stuff in my sisters stocking. Ouch, on Christmas Day! I never said anything to my parents and to this day we have never been "told" anything. My mom's motto is: You quit believing then you quit receiving. Although we did get to pick out our own Santa gifts.

Queen of Hearts said...

Cameron's response is awesome and so is the "something of interest" link. Yikes!

Mom told me one fateful day when she thought I was too old and she was tired of hearing, "Santa can get it for me." I cried hard and put it all together, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, etc. Sad day.

pinklady said...

I have no recollection of finding out...none whatsoever. is that weird?

I do have a memory of my skinny, beanpole of a cousin dressing up as santa one year and running around on the roof of my grandma's house and then coming in to drop off our gifts. we might even have it on old 8mm film...but I can't believe his skinny 17yo body made me think it was really santa though.

finding out must not have been a big deal...or maybe coming to the realization that santa wasn't real was so traumatic that I've blocked it out...you think? (hee hee)

Angi said...

If my kids quit believing they don't get presents. They are 23
23, 15 3/4 and 14 1/2. They just laugh about Santa. Because we still act as if he was "REAL".

But I tell you my 15 y/o would do his best every year starting at 7 or 8 to try and figure out if he was real. I had to be EXTRA careful of what I did and said.

I never had an "AH HA" moment about Santa I just kinda knew and went along with it because I had a younger Bro.

Suz Q Free Tibet said...

Being the youngest in my house growing up....My SISTER ratted out!
I remember on Christmas Eve sneaking into the hall with my sister and watching my mom put the gifts under the tree in the living room. I felt betrayed but at the same time was so grateful for my mom and all the hard work she put into making a good Christmas for me (even when she couldn't afford it). God Bless Parents!!!

Amy said...

I still believe in Santa & I am 32. My mom had the motto "you don't believe you dont receive". I am holding my children to the same.

Though the biggest and best presents in our house are from us (the parents) santa brings movies and other things. I am not giving Santa credit for my hard work!

dishes and laundry said...

I guess we all survived - whether a jaw dropping discovery or a slow realization.

I like the idea of "if you don't believe...", but my kids grew up to be a greedy sort(from having Santa bring way too much)and it needed to end. Oh well.

Tesia said...

Somewhere in the teens, mom loaded my room with Davin's stuff and said, here wrap this for tomorrow! hehehe