Thursday, January 24, 2008

A Buttery Breakfast

With the new year, we switched from the slightly-too-early 9 am church schedule to the perfect 11 am block.

When church starts at 9, the boys are lucky if they have a minute to eat a bowl of cereal. Sometimes they polish off a Pop Tart as we drive the two blocks to the meeting house. There's not even time for toast.

But with church starting at 11, there is time for a nice breakfast. Something hot and delicious that makes the day feel a little bit special.

For the last few weeks, the boys have been requesting German Pancakes.

I was introduced to these as a teenager by my friend Valerie. Well, it was actually her Mother, Yvonne. She's the one that made them for us on Saturday mornings after a sleepover.

She called them Hootenannies - which was fun to say, and it made them even more yummy. I'd never seen anything like it. She baked them in a pie pan and when they came out of the oven, the edges had puffed up high and crispy and curled inward in an astounding way. Yvonne, never one to skimp on the use of butter, spread some on the inside and sprinkled powdered sugar over the entire thing.

It was the butter part that I found so unusual. At my house, the butter was for my Dad and my Dad only. The rest of us used margarine or Shedd's Spread. I don't remember wanting the butter or feeling like the margarine was second best. Mom just explained that my Dad grew up on butter and so it was what he liked as an adult. There was a slight implication that we would not like butter, and that pretty much kept us from ever trying it out.

Here at Valerie's house though, it was butter all the way. Butter for everyone! Butter on the table, butter on your toast, eggs cooked in butter, and most definitely, butter on the Hootenannies.

When Yvonne spread the butter (dare I say, slathered) on the hot Hootenanny, it melted into golden pools that absorbed the liberal dusting of powdered sugar. It made a sweet, buttery topping that was perfect for the mild pancake.

I loved those Hootenanny mornings. Thank you, Yvonne!

My boys love them too.

Wanna see?

Check out the edges, all puffy and curled up. Kids love this. Okay, so do I.
This is right out of the oven. My camera kept fogging up.

Let's add the powdered sugar.


Mmmmmmmmmm.....


Oooooooooooo........


Cameron requests half of one on his plate.


He likes the Cut...

-n- Shovel method of eating.


Aaron likes his cut up so he can eat it like pizza. I use scissors for this.


Chomp!


Let's get another shot of that melty, buttery, mouth-watering deliciousness.


Seriously, how could you not love this?
So what do my boys think about as they sit at the counter in their underwear (see note below), devouring this tasty Sunday morning breakfast?
Aaron? He's easy.
He's thinking, "I'm the luckiest kid in the world to have a Mom that makes this for breakfast."

Cameron's thinking: "I wonder what it would be like to have a Mom that didn't
take pictures of me while I'm eating?"



***Note*** I do suggest eating these in your underwear - or at least before you get dressed in your "good clothes". You know...powdered sugar and all.
I also suggest you make some this weekend.

***************************************************
German Pancakes...aka Hootenannies

6 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
a few dashes of salt
4 Tb. butter or margarine (yes, margarine will work too)
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Put 2 Tb. butter in each of two pie pans; melt as the oven heats up. In a bowl, combine the eggs, milk, flour, and salt. Beat until fluffy (use electric beaters) and smooth. Pour half of the batter in each pan. Bake for 20 minutes. Pancakes will puff up in an amazing and delightful way. Serve with more butter and powdered sugar.
*********************************************

18 comments:

Amber said...

Yay- Jake worked his magic and you were able to post! I see why this one was so important to you- very long and mouthwatering. I'm so hungry now I'm going upstairs to eat- even the yummy pictures can't tempt me into cooking again today, so I'll have to settle for a poptart. . .

dalene said...

Oh yum--and pictures and a recipe to boot! I haven't made those for years, but the look so much simpler than crepes (my family's favorite breakfast).

Suz Q Free Tibet said...

I almost cried(happy cry) when I read this.
My mom made this for my family all the time. I loved it so much. I haven't had it since I moved out from my parents. I'm totally going to make it now.
Some of my family members used syrup. I totally did the powdered sugar. It rocks.

pinklady said...

oh my goodness...those sound SO GOOD! I want to make them right now they look so good. I have never had one before. yummy

you are such a nice mom! ;-)

Angi said...

These are Spencer's all time favorite thing to make. Yep, he makes them, I don't! I am a pancakes and waffles mom, not german pancakes mom. Sorry. Anyway he makes chocolate ones too. They make a mess of the kitchen when teenagers make them.

But at least they are having fun. Right.

dishes and laundry said...

Yes...Jake was the Computer Whisperer! Thank you!

CW-I've done crepes before, long time ago. Those are really yummy too.

Suz-No tears...no tears. Powdered sugar is much better than syrup on these. Happy baking.

Pink-You really do need to try one. Have a good time on your trip!

Angi-Chocolate??? Chocolate!!! Do tell.

Lulu said...

This is a fun post to read. And the photos are great. However, you make me sound like a bad mom. In my defense, I DIDN'T want you to like butter. It's full of saturated fat which clogs arteries and leads to heart disease. To serve you butter would be like telling you to go play in the street. I may not have been as much fun as Yvonne, but I was a good mom.

dishes and laundry said...

Oh, no way were you a bad Mom! You're awesome! And I always thought it was more of a cost issue as to why the rest of us weren't using butter. Dad was always kind of protective of his butter...still is.

Brandi said...

This looks so super yummy! I can't wait to try them. How many can you cook at a time?

Unknown said...

Yum, what time is breakfast served? I would rather just come to your house to eat than make it myself.

It"s me said...

That looks so yummy! I am going to have to try them!

Elise said...

Wendy, We had these for breakfast this morning! Our friends are over for the weekend and I mentioned them, they make them all the time, so I got my breakfast made for me and they were delicious! Thanks for the idea and the recipe!

The Peake Family said...

Im totally making these tomorrow morning. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the recipe!!

Nora Mair said...

I had these for the first time last year with BUTTERMILK SYRUP. Takes it to a whole new level. But the powdered sugar and liberal slather can't be beat. mmmmmm

Kat said...

This is my kids favorite breakfast item. It is kind of funny. For boys that manage to burn water and over cook ramian noodles to the point that not even the dogs will touch them!!! They seem to have no problem whipping themselves up a batch of these whenever they want. So at least I know they can cook one thing properly before I throw them out into the cruel dark world! Cam and Aaron have the same look on their face as mine do when they devour their own pancake smothered in syrup. Oh sooooo tasty.. makes me hungry just looking at the pictures.

Unknown said...

How many will this recipe feed? Remember that I'm not shy when it comes to food. I like to eat!

Unknown said...

mmm...I can't wait.

dishes and laundry said...

One batch will feed my whole family - but a single person could easily eat one whole pie pan (1/2 the recipe)

Enjoy!