Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Honey...I'm Home

We got home from my parent's house last night, and only a few minutes after walking in the door, the phone rang. It was Cameron's friend, calling to tell him that President Hinckley had died. (I thought that was a very mature and thoughtful thing for an 11 year old boy to do)

That was the first of several calls we received and made last night.

"Did you hear...?"

"I just saw on the news..."

"Just wanted to make sure you knew..."

Aaron, ever my sensitive boy, got a little panicky and needed some hugs and reassurance about things in general. He wanted to pray, so we did that and then went downstairs to watch a little of the "breaking news" reports. Aaron caught the phrase that President Hinckley had died "about an hour and a half ago" and began using it in his own conversations.

"Mom, up until about an hour and a half ago, President Hinckley was the only prophet in my life, huh?"

One station was showing a documentary about President Hinckley's life and we watched part of it together. We brought out an Ensign with the pictures of the First Presidency and the General Authorities and talked about change. We read his last talk from Conference.

You know how if you read a quote by President Hinckley, you can hear his voice, with all the inflections and tone right there in your mind. I love that. I will miss his voice, his humor and wit, hearing his testimony and the powerful messages that he wove around gentle stories of his life and his love for our Savior. I will miss him.

I didn't shed a tear though, until I started thinking about the reunions going on up in Heaven, and then I can't hold back. Can you imagine?

I have an unwavering testimony of eternal families and relationships, and that death is not an end, but a beginning. I'm so happy for President Hinckley!

He's with his wife again. He doesn't need his cane. He's able to talk to all the past prophets and friends that he's served with. He is with the Savior. The thought that won't leave my mind is that he's meeting Joseph Smith. They have lots to talk about.

Mostly, I imagine that Sister Hinckley is holding on tight to his arm and just about bursting with happiness. Finally, he's home!
She tugs him away from all the happy greeters.

See you later...we've got some catching up to do.

7 comments:

Lulu said...

I've heard much on the news and read many remembrances of President Hinckley, but none has touched me so profoundly as what you wrote. I couldn't hold back the tears. You expressed so beautifully what all of us are feeling at this time. Thank you.

Nora Mair said...

Beautifully put. Your Aaron is a gem.

Amber said...

I couldn't agree more- what a bittersweet time.

This was posted at 5 in the morning?!!!!

Janet said...

This really was beautifully put. We are all sad but know that he is so happy to finally be with his wife again. General Conference just won't be the same for a while

Angi said...

I wasn't sad either, at first.
My Mom called to tell us and the 1st thing Brent said was Good for Him. Brent has a matter of fact approach to life and death.

The next day, I was sad and reflective.

Thanks Wendy for putting into words what we all want to say but don't maybe know how.

The Peake Family said...

It gives me the chills, just to think about their reunion. It makes life more enjoyable knowing the plan and having eternal families.

It"s me said...

I think it is wonderful that they are together again right now. I am still sad that he is gone but also happy.