Tuesday, March 18, 2008

15 Minutes of Shame

Last Saturday started off with a calorie-burning bang. I went to Zumba- a Latin dance inspired exercise class - and worked up a sweat and a very red face. Serious fun.

Ate a healthy breakfast and then went to the grocery store with my mind full of all the healthy items I would be buying. For some reason, brussels sprouts were on my mind. I read somewhere that they are nutritional powerhouses and I was determined to eat them. But as I was driving around looking for a parking spot (it was Walmart on a Saturday morning, 'nuff said) I noticed that both entrances were staked out by cute little girls in uniforms.

Girl Scouts.

Crap.

They had posters and smiles and dynamic little personalities, and they weren't letting anyone by without a strong invitation to buy their cookies.

Again, crap.

I called Troy from the safety of the car.

"I'm about to be attacked."

"What's up?"

"Girl Scouts. At Walmart. They won't let you in unless you buy cookies."

"Just say you're not interested."

"They're at both entrances."

"Just walk on by. Pretend you're talking on the phone."

"But they're cute and smiling. With missing teeth. They have uniforms. And braids."

"So get some."

"I don't want cookies in the house. I bet they have Thin Mints."

"Goodbye."

Why, oh why did the Girl Scouts have to be at Walmart? I just wanted my brussels sprouts and whole grain bread and high fiber cereal and my soymilk.

But the braids...

I bought two boxes.

By the time I got home it was 11:30. The boys helped me put away the groceries (I did get my brussels sprouts, by the way) and as a reward, they got the box of Tagalongs and strict orders to eat them all.

I ate a healthy lunch and then changed clothes and went on a bike ride. Burned a few more calories and froze my ears. Home by 12:30.

The rest of the day went something like this:
12:30-1: Dishes, laundry, various other household things. Not eating Thin Mints.


1-2: More laundry, folding and putting away. Working on a Primary lesson. Drinking water.


2-3: Fixing food for the boys, a phone call, staying busy and NOT eating the Thin Mints.


3-4: Ate a healthy snack, showered and did my hair and makeup. Hey, it's Saturday.


4-4:30: Laundry, glance at the lesson, read blogs while NOT EATING the Thin Mints. Hehehe...I didn't really look at the lesson again.


4:30-5:45 Took Aaron to the doctor and then to Petsmart to buy a new collar for Ollie. He has hidden the old one.


5:45-6: Picked up Cam from a friend's house, came home, heated leftovers for the boys. Took a final load out of the dryer. Drank big glass of water.


6-6:15: Sat down to clear out the Tivo and ate an entire sleeve of Thin Mints.


6:15-6:20: Gave other sleeve to the boys with instructions to eat them all and not let me have any. Even if I begged.


6:20-6:30: Stole one Thin Mint every minute.


6:30-6:45: Rounded out my "dinner" with a half bag of steamed brussels sprouts, angry at myself and cursing the Girl Scouts.

Yeah, that's me.

Do you have a Girl Scout Cookie story of shame? Please share. Tell me I'm not the only one!!!

10 comments:

Nora Mair said...

Wendy! They were everywhere on Saturday. My frugal sence always win against the cute sleeves of cookies! Rumba was fun. The 15 minutes I was there....

Angi said...

I have eaten a whole box all by myself since Friday. I CANNOT RESIST!! I eat them at work or while I am cleaning, or whenever I darn well please.
But I only buy 3 boxes and TRY to share.

Elise said...

You are not alone. I have succumbed to the braids twice. Two separate shopping occasions they had the entrances staked out. Too bad I don't have some boys like you to take them off my hands. I just don't want Ava to eat all that sugar:)

pinklady said...

I am definitely a "by the sleeve" kind of gal when it comes to the thin mints. it's been decided they are my favorite...and CANNOT (and I repeat CANNOT be eaten by any less than a full sleeve. I'm not proud.

(ps: would it be bad if I went to the grocery store tonight and hoped the GS girls were there? now thin mints are all I can think of. thanks.)

dishes and laundry said...

Go ahead, Pink! Getcha some Thin Mints.

Amber said...

I laughed out loud reading this- all by myself!!! You have such great story-telling ability! Luckily, I am one of the only people I know of who CAN resist girl scout cookies. It's movie theater popcorn that gets me- I've actually bought popcorn at the theater without seeing a movie!

Unknown said...

I hid a box of samoa's in the freezer, Michael found them and I had to confess. He didn't touch them, and I ate the whole box in two days.

Shauna said...

I was able to slide right by those cute girls but only because I knew I had 2 boxes that would be coming from the girl who came by last month to pre-sell. Otherwise, I would've bought some and now the two boxes are already gone and I want more!!! Yeah for Thin Mints!! They are my favorite!!

The Sants said...

I understand the cookie trauma. I had originally ordered 4 boxes from one of the girls in my class. (3 of which were Thin Mints) And then they delivered them and I realized I hadn't ordered any of the Tagalongs. So I got 2 of those too. 6 boxes of Girl Scout cookies sold to the diabetic and Kenyan doesn't even like them!

Nora Mair said...

How'd you do this week Wendy? They were at Walgreens on Saturday?