Monday, March 10, 2008

Who Wants Advil? Oh, Let's Just All Take Some.

What's a day at the orthodontist and dentist if you don't bring along your camera? Not nearly as much fun.

Aaron was the first one with an appointment yesterday. He had his Rapid Palatal Expander installed. We're just going to call it The Crank. As in, "Let's crank your mouth apart every evening at bedtime".
I am soooo looking forward to that.
The Crank is only mildly uncomfortable, however, Aaron's having a hard time talking. He's got a full-blown speech impediment now, and if I'm not looking at him it's hard to understand him. And since he can't put his tongue up to the roof of his mouth, swallowing is difficult. Also, his mouth thinks the Crank is food and is trying to break it down by producing lots and lots of saliva. Saliva that he can't figure out how to swallow.
By the time we get to the dentist so his two cavities can be filled, Aaron's pretty tired of me asking him to repeat himself, he's hungry (but can't eat), and he's got a mouth full of saliva (that he can't swallow). This day is awesome.

How about a nice shot in your gums? That oughta brighten your day. Breathe deep through your nose, baby, breathe deep.


Cameron's in the next room getting the same treatment. He doesn't have any cavities, but he's getting two permanent teeth pulled as the next step in his orthodontic journey.

He took to the nitrous oxide reeeeeeeally well.


The dentist came in and with a few wiggles and a gentle yank (or two), Cameron's mouth and his teeth parted ways. I wish wish wish that I could have been at a good filming angle, but I wasn't. So this will have to suffice:

It's every bit as deep as it looks.
Cam's supposed to keep his tongue away from the clots and he can't drink through a straw until it's all healed. Drinking with a straw could dislodge the blood clots and he'd get something called Dry Socket, which is so horrible and so painful that I've thrown away all the straws in the house. Just in case.

Still a little glazed, lips stretched beyond recognition, needing some Carmex, missing two teeth, mouth tasting like blood...and yet, Mom wants a picture. I thought there would be more coddling.


We can add these to the collection of teeth:


We headed home and Aaron attempted one smile in the elevator. Great. Now his lips and cheeks don't work either.

I bought him a shake and he tried to eat it, but it just kept falling out of his mouth. He would NOT let me take a video of him trying to eat. I had to promise to stop laughing, but darn it if that wasn't the funniest thing I've ever seen.
Dinner was tomato soup, yogurt, and a smoothie - spoon eaten, thank you very much. Nobody feels like chewing tonight.
And Advil. Lots of Advil.

7 comments:

dalene said...

Oh my gosh. You're pictures are so perfect. I almost felt like I'd just been to the dentist!

pinklady said...

oh. my. goodness. those poor boys! I so remember orthodontia and teeth pulling and straw phobia...but the result is good if they can make it. and they will make it, I have faith. stay with us buddies! GOOD LUCK! (and that's for the boys as well as mom!) :-)

Mrs. J said...

Oh good luck. Those poor boys, and their poor mom. I felt like I had been to the dentist. Pass the advil.

Angi said...

Wendy these are my favorite pictures, as you know I was a dental assistant for many years. I felt like I was the one assisting the Dr.


And as for the ortho, It is a terrific day when they are all through.

Just ask Spencer and Connor.

Unknown said...

ouch, ouch, and more ouch!!!

Nora Mair said...

Iknow it's at your kids' expense but thanks for the funniest thing I've read in days. I should have more sympathy but that pic of Cam needin' Carmex..... priceless.

Loud Boy said...

Now I wish that I would have taken my camera! Ashby got her 'crank' installed on Thursday. This is the start of $15,000 of mouth work for her.

Good luck!