Tuesday, May 6, 2008

How Stimulating...

So...anyone have their Economic Stimulus Payment yet? Have you mentally spent it, getting ready to do your part to stimulate the economy, or are you holding on tight and putting it in a savings account?

I want to do a little of both.

I like the peace of mind that comes with having a cushion-y little savings account. My income dries up at the end of the school year and it would be nice to have some money saved to carry us through the summer vacations, birthdays, and hello - our 20th anniversary in September.

Or we might just have to use it to buy gas.

Or rice.

****Speaking of rice...when I heard that it was being rationed (!) at Sam's Club, I worried and stressed for a short while. I wanted to search all over the valley and get a big supply. Rice, RICE!!! We must have rice!! But then I realized that we have enough - we don't even eat a lot of rice. Whew. I don't have to spend my Economic Stimulus Check on rice. Crisis averted. ****

Oh, there are so many things to do with this good-sized chunk of change. We could throw it all into the yard, landscaping and such. The boys need new bikes. Ramping up my food storage would bring some peace of mind. Summertime and Bear Lake vacations are coming up. That pesky credit card. The balance with my podiatrist. A new dishwasher. Laser hair removal for my underarms. New mattresses for everyone. Hiring the Dog Whisperer.

What to do, what to do?

The sensible me says to put it away and pad that savings account. Gas and food might be getting even pricier, and who knows when the next major car repair will be needed.

A savings account is good.

Spending is...um...more fun.

I remain undecided.

What are your plans for your Economic Stimulus Payment?

5 comments:

Elise said...

Save, save, save! I guess we won't be stimulating the economy much, but we like a little cushion as well. With this check we'll have reached our "emergency savings" goal and we're pretty excited about that!

Unknown said...

We got ours May 2nd. We bought a Wii, that was our contribution to stimulating the economy, put some towards our car and the rest in savings.

Angi said...

Totally savings!! J/K, I just bought a car so I need all the new car stuff....floor mats, steering wheel cover, air freshener, you know all the things that make it scream MY CAR, hands off boys. If there are leftovers, I'll put them in Mission funds.

Mrs. J said...

Stimulate and save I think. We really need a new T.V. but have been putting it off because we think if we don't have one we will go to bed earlier and spend more time together. But instead we spend all night staring at a silent T.V. reading the subtitles.

dishes and laundry said...

Elise - I'm afraid to ask what your emergency savings is, LOL. It's like half a year's salary, right? You save that money!

Marisa - I'm keeping your purchase a secret - my family would love a Wii!

Angi - yay for new cars - have fun!

Mrs. J. - I'd go for the tv. Subtitles? So you can't hear the music on Idol or Dancing w/ the Stars??? Definitely get a new tv, LOL.