Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Hey Flinders, No Flinders, Come On We Got to Go Flinders. Believe Us We're Your Friends

I planned a perfect spring evening for the family. Troy was home, the house was clean enough, the homework was done enough, the weather was warm enough, everyone was in a good mood, and by golly I wanted to go out and have some fun.

We waited for Cam to get home from play practice and then we were going to head over to the tennis courts. The boys have been taking some lessons and they really enjoy it, Troy and I both love it, so with the promise of an Arctic Circle cone on the way home, we thought we had the perfect evening planned. Good old-fashioned family time.

And then Cam called from the school.

"I'm staying here to play with my friends, okay?"

"Noooooo, come home. We're going to play tennis! The whole family!"

"But I've been in school all day and then play practice. I want to be with my friends."

Seriously, the last time I checked, his friends are also at school and play practice.

"Come on, Cam, this will be fun...we'll get ice cream afterwards..."

"Please, Mom, please????? I just want to stay here. The weather's finally good enough to play football. I just want to be with my friends!"

I handed the phone to Troy and they had pretty much the same conversation. Before they even finished, I mouthed "Fine...let him stay...we're still going." Troy told him to call us so we'd know when he'd made it home.

We stared at each other. It's happened. No matter how cool I think we are (and we are!!), no matter how many cones we buy or how many perfect, fun-filled evenings of tennis we plan, he will want to be with his friends.

Not us. His friends.

( now this is how I know that Troy is the perfect man for me.)

If there had been an orchestra, the music would have swelled. Troy and I both started singing!

(wait a minute...could this be why Cam doesn't want to hang with us???)

Whatever. The lyrics came out, choppy in places, but we clung to each other and sang the song for every parent with a child who is feeling the pull of friends over family.

(oh, and apologies to Mr. de Axevedo if a lyric is wrong, and a thank you for writing the music score for my life.)

When he was just a little boy
Things were different then...
With eyes of trust he looked to us
To lead the way...

Always bringing us his fears
We could wipe away his tears
But things were different then
For he was just a little boy...

The years have passed
Like summer dew upon the grass
The little boy that held our hands
Grew up so fast...

There was a time he loved us
The way we love him now...
But growing up
Has changed it all...somehow...

Tell me that you remember this!



We laughed it off ('cause music cheers the heart), went and played tennis, had a great time with Aaron, and came back to Cameron, who was now wishing that he'd gone with us instead. We ate our cones in front of him.

Score one (I think) for the family. Fifteen/Love

Aaaaaaaghhhh! This growing up thing is hard! And Cam has great friends - seriously, I couldn't ask for better. They aren't like the those hooligans from Saturday's Warrior, dancing around in leather, growing their hair and planning a trip to California for their "Summer of Fair Weather" ('cause I know a place, where we can get it together....). Now that was a rough crowd!

Nope, his friends are good. I shouldn't have a problem with this at all. It's just hard to let go of my little boy. I have a friend who will be sending her son off to college by the first of next year, and I get a knot in my stomach just listening to her talk about it.

I wish I could hold onto my boys forever.

But since I can't (and I'm sure eventually I wouldn't want to) I'm just grateful to have a husband who remembers the words and will sing with me.

7 comments:

Angi said...

Oh Wendy, I feel for you. It's hard to see them go in the direction of their friends and away from Mom and Dad.


P.S. Thank you for recognizing my very most favorite album in the world. It's in my CD player in my car right now.

dishes and laundry said...

Yay - someone recognized Saturday's Warrior! I grew up on it - we could only listen to church music on Sunday, so this was it for me.

I hope I got the words right!

Kim said...

Hi Wendy, I'm Nora's SIL and found the link to your blog from hers. Love it!
As do I love this post. After reading it I've been singing all evening...
Just had to know... When Cam got home did you break into, "Cam, we love you, its all we have to offer."?

dishes and laundry said...

Welcome Kim! Good to see you here.

Yes, I've totally been singing the song to Cam - "Cameron, oh Cameron, don't listen to them, how can they say they're your friends?"

He's perfecting his eye rolling.

Saturday's Warrior is being performed next month - at Cottonwood High School, I think. I'm hoping to take the boys. I think they need to experience it!

The Peake Family said...

Wendy, Im going private so send me your e-mail address so I can send you an invite. My address is the thepeakefam@hotmail.com.

Jillybean said...

Love it!!
As soon as I saw the title to your post, I began singing every song from the soundtrack.
Of course I remember Saturday's Warrior. And how cool that your husband would sing it with you!
We like to sing "Love at home" when the kids are fighting. They have come to dislike the song.

dishes and laundry said...

I love it! I sing Love At Home too and it just makes them mad, LOL!