Friday, May 9, 2008

In Training

A few weeks ago, the instructor in my weightlifting class was leading us in some abdominal work- all kinds of killer crunches and obliques, core strengthening, etc. - all the while urging us to "pull in your abdominals, keep your lower back on the floor, pull your belly button in." And we'd lift and reach, chin to our chests, grunting (maybe that's just me) and counting down.

Then she casually mentions,

"You've got to make sure you are pulling in your abdominals as hard as you can...if you don't, you can actually train those muscles to stick out. If your abdominals are pushing out while you're doing these crunches, they will go out instead of in."

Excuuuuuuuse me? Stick out?????

Shoot.

Me.

Now.

6 comments:

i i eee said...

I've heard that! I was reading about Madonna's new trainer, and she was going on and on about how we shouldn't do certain ab exercises -the muscle will bulk up the wrong way. Just one more thing to worry about.

I was talking to Mom and Dad about being healthier, and in so many words they told me that you should be my go-to guru! :)

dishes and laundry said...

Oh, I don't know about that, LOL, I've been training my abs to stick out!

I wanna read what Madonna's trainer said - I'd also like to know what she eats. Bet she didn't have a donut for breakfast like I did, hehehe.

Mrs. J said...

I remember her saying that and thinking to myself, hmmm so that's why my "abs" stick out, and all along I thought it was the because of the giant cheese cake I ate. Good to know.

dishes and laundry said...

Mmmmm....cheesecake.

Brandi said...

I will never do another crunch as long as I live!

Kat said...

That explains everything now.. I have bulked my stomach muscles out the wrong direction.. and here I have been blaming my kids all this time. I feel so ashamed