Thursday, June 5, 2008

When the Pavement Strikes Back

So yeah, the whole family has new bikes. It's our "thing". Troy and I may have paid for it with our hard-earned money, but Aaron has paid for it, literally, with his flesh.


The past two times that we've gone out on bikes, Aaron has ended up lying on the pavement, wounded and crying.


He has a helmet, so his head's been safe, but he really really really needs gloves, elbow pads, a chest guard, and some heavy duty knee pads. The kid's going to look like Iron Man every time he gets on his bike.


I don't know what the problem is - it's not like he's going too fast or over a bumpy road. I guess he's still kind of new to the "no training wheels!" thing, but still. Poor, poor, bloody kid.


This is the latest:




He also has scuffed up hands, an elbow scrape, an arm abrasion, and a belly bruise. Life is tough. But his spirit is tougher - he wants to ride some more.

Long pants, sweetie. At least until I can get you the knee pads.

Oh, and pass the Neosporin.

4 comments:

pinklady said...

ouch. poor guy. good for him for wanting to get right back out there!

like I've said earlier, my love/hate relationship with bikes is intensified by the fear of falling. I once was riding on the back of my cousin's moped (really cool in the 80's!) and we tipped while turning onto a gravel road. I was only about 7 or 8 and it was scary. guess I've never gotten over the terror...and the pain!

Elise said...

It was the brutality of the pavement that made me stop riding bikes forever. I am happy Aaron is a better man (woman in my case) than me, and just gets back on!

havingcakeandeatingit2 said...

I remember Elise's incident. It might have put me off too. It involved teeth and chin as well as elbows, knees, etc. and I think she was on her own to boot. So maybe the body armor is worth it for Aaron.

dishes and laundry said...

Oh, my, I don't think I know this whole story. And I don't want to, right now, LOL!