Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Passion

I think you can gauge your feelings towards something by the amount of money that you put into it.

An interest or a whim, say, a cooking class, might cost $20 - $40. You're testing the waters, seeing if you really like it, before you spend all sorts of moola on updating your kitchen stuff. It might be a one time thing.

Now a hobby is a little more serious. It's an on-going activity that you will continue to put money into, like scrapbooking, gardening, or sewing. You might spend $50+ every month.


Beyond interest and hobby though, after you have thrown so much money towards one thing (and you're starting to hide it from your husband), you had darn well better call it a passion.

That said, I...uh...have a new...uh...passion. It is the bike.

It began simply enough - with starting some spinning classes at the gym. Then my friend suggested that I join her and another group of teachers on a bike ride - the Little Red Riding Hood, an all women's century (with shorter options). This wasn't just riding around with Cameron at Bear Lake for 20 minutes in the morning; it was an honest to goodness cycling event. They were planning on riding 68 miles - and that has since been changed to 80. Lycra shorts with a gel pad are not optional.

I was intrigued. Could I do it? Was I strong enough? Would I need a new bike?

Yes. Yes. Oh, yes.

A month or two later I had skipped right over the hobby level of money, and went straight to passionate spending. I mean, spending money for my new passion.

Breaking it down, I have bought:


New bike. It's a beauty and I love her. She's so lightweight, a road bike, 28" tires, 21 gears, and a dark red.


Helmet. Shades of turquoise. To protect my head.


Gloves. Gel filled to help prevent nerve damage. Will also help protect the hands from road rash.


Hydration backpack. Actually, I got this for free - I won it in a drawing at the gym. I took that as a sign that I should definitely do the bike ride. If I hadn't won it though, I would have bought one.


Bike computer. Because I really really really want to know how far I've gone, how long it took me, my speed, and the calories that I've burned.


Lycra bike shorts with a gel pad. These will save your butt. Literally.


2nd pair of Lycra bike shorts with a better gel pad. Also, a smaller size. They need to be tight to prevent chafing.


Cycling jersey. Not that I'm going so darn fast that I'm looking to cut down on wind resistance...this is a strictly "looking the part" kind of thing. Apparently there is also moisture-wicking that will take place if it ever gets really hot.



Cycling socks. People swear by them. The moisture-wicking will prevent blisters.


Cycling shoes. The most expensive pair of shoes I have ever owned, and the only time I wear them is when the rest of me is looking like a sausage, stuffed into Lycra. The shoes clip to the pedals and give you a more efficient ride. Also a little more dangerous ride.


Cycling pedals. What the shoes clip on to.


Registering for the Salt Lake City Century. A perfect first-time ride - money well spent.


Registering for the Little Red. It's this Saturday and I Can. Not. Wait!!!! We are now planning on riding 80 miles.

Little Red Cycling Jersey. Because this is a very big deal and it will match my socks.

Hotel for Little Red. We wanted to go up the night before so we wouldn't have to leave at 4am to get there.


I think that's about it. See what I mean about passion? I'd better stay passionate about this for a looooooong time.


But now, all the stuff is (hopefully!) bought. Now I can just ride, and occasionally register for an event here and there. Maybe buy another pair of socks. Not much. No sirree, the spending is over. Thank you, Troy, for being so supportive and letting me get all this stuff. It's my, uh, passion, after all.


But then I've just had way too much fun. I've gone on and on and bubbled about it so much, that Troy's decided to join in.


Troy has a new passion...

5 comments:

havingcakeandeatingit2 said...

I am sooooooo impressed. As an old tired mother of seven I often feel like I am beyond help and shouldn't take the time or spend the money (if required) for a healthy interest. First, you and my sister inspired me to blog and just reading about your biking experience makes me think maybe I am not a lost cause. Thanks.

dishes and laundry said...

Wow - a mother of seven! - I'm the one who is IMPRESSED!!!!

No way are you a lost cause - gotta believe in yourself. I couldn't have done this even a couple of years ago. I had to wait until my boys were old enough for me to say "see ya, Mom's taking some time for herself!" For the most part, they've been very supportive - of course, a lot of my exercise time is while they're still asleep (yawn!)

Good luck!

Elise said...

I think that is so cool that Troy is gonna bike too. I imagine that it's fun to have a buddy to do it with. For me, biking would never be fun no matter the company, but I am so happy you've found a new "passion"!

stressedkris said...

I am so proud of you! I don't think I could ever do anything like that. Although if your passions change or if you ever decide to come in from the rain and scrapbook call me!

Unknown said...

I don't think I can afford to get into biking. Maybe I better rethink the triathlon thing.