Monday, July 28, 2008

So, How Does My Garden Grow?

Pretty well, I think. Some things are doing great, some, not so great. I'm taking notes and already thinking about what I want to do next year.


This is what's going on right now:


Peppers...green, red, and jalapenos. For the longest time they weren't doing much of anything - looked kind of peaked, but in the last week or so they've started taking off and they have quite a few little blossoms.





This is my teeny, tiny jalapeno. I call him Jose. I think he will be delicious.




We have a lovely patch of carrots... none are ready yet.



Lots of green onions and I think one of these squares is actually red onions.




This is cauliflower. Huge and leafy, and I need to keep spraying it with a pesticide. I couldn't see any little heads of cauliflower, and I was about to pull the whole thing out, but then this morning I saw the tiniest little things that just might turn into cauliflower. We'll see.



These two squares have been planted 4 times with green beans. Nine plants (in each one foot square) have sprouted, grown to 2-3 inches, and then disappeared. Four times. I am ticked. Even the little fence hasn't protected my beans.




This is the bean plant pilferer.





Shhhhhh....Ollie doesn't know about this little square of beans.


Cilantro. Bolted. I suppose I could dry it and shake out the coriander seeds, but I'm not going to. I wanted cilantro.



My cabbage! I've had to spray it to keep the bugs off, but now it's ready to harvest (how cool does that word sound?)



Here's another. I think it's the cutest thing ever.


Tomatoes. So far, a disappointment. The plants seem spindly and they are starting to yellow from the base up. Not much fruit - something called Blossom Drop. I'm still hoping that they (4 plants) can turn around, 'cause really, what's a garden without a good tomato crop?


This is the cherry tomato plant. I've eaten 8 tiny tomatoes off of it. They were so delicious...I want more!


The spinach did pretty well - been adding it to salads.

Red and green leaf lettuce - it's done really well. There was some Romaine that was good, but then it bolted. Snails have also hung out in the green lettuce. Overall, a success.


I think the red leaf lettuce is very pretty.

Oooooo...fresh basil!


Zucchini!! I've harvested a few so far. There is a yellow crookneck squash planted nearby, but so far, no fruit.



There were also three broccoli plants. Ollie pulled out the best one and carried it through the yard, whipping it from side to side, while I chased him. The other two produced about a four inch crown of broccoli each. While I waited to show Troy my broccoli success. they sprouted into a large bouquet of yellow flowers. And they were buggy. I don't think I'll do broccoli again.

And that's my garden...so far.

Any luck in your gardens?

4 comments:

Elise said...

Your garden looks great! Mine has been neglected a bit recently and I'm scared to go check on it. I have the feeling it will mostly be damage control, because without water in this heat, I don't know that much can survive.

That Oliver! (did I tell you that when we got back from Utah, Ava named her little stuffed dog, Ollie?!)
He is to your garden as the birds are to mine. They've eaten my latest tomatoes!

dishes and laundry said...

I love that she named her stuffed dog after Oliver.

Not the tomatoes! Darn birds.

Christy said...

Your garden is looking good! We are having success with ours this year. We tried planting an Artichoke, it has a little baby bud on it! I like how you laid out your beds. That Ollie is in big trouble. But how can you stay mad at that face for long?

dishes and laundry said...

Artichoke...very cool. Let me know how it turns out.