Friday, July 25, 2008

Starting a Garden

Last spring, I got the itch to plant a garden. We hadn't had a garden in several years - mainly due to our crappy soil, lack of planning, fear of hard work, and the attitude that we would only fail once again.


Then I found this:

I felt hopeful that I could have a successful garden. So Troy, ever wanting to make me happy, built me some gardens.

We (I totally mean Troy) pulled out the old sandbox, laid the weed fabric down, and set the 6 inch deep gardens on top.

These two are 4x4 foot square. After they turned out so well, he went on to build 2 3x3 foot gardens, and a 2x8 foot garden.


Here, he's getting ready to make the soil mix. He's got peat moss,

different kinds of compost,

and vermiculite.

Gotta mix it up.

Mix some more.


Still mixing.
Seriously, you wanna put the camera down and help?

Fine...I'll help mix.


Then we (he) filled the beds.



And filled...And filled...


Until they were full.


And then, because I had put the camera down to help, I didn't pick it back up again to take pictures of the finished gardens. Whoops.

So just imagine...all the soil is nice and smooth and then Troy adds the grids that mark the whole thing off in 1 foot sections. Each section will be planted with 1-16 plants, depending on the size that it needs to grow. A cabbage, for example, takes up one whole square. Green onions, 16 per square.

The other boxes (3x3 and the 2x8) will hold the squash and tomatoes.


Thanks, Troy!!! The gardens turned out beautifully.


This is how they look now.


And the best part? No weeds. Not a single one. Next year, all I have to do is add a scoop of compost to each square and mix it up by hand, and it'll be ready to plant. The hard work is OVER.

Pretty cool, huh?

9 comments:

Elise said...

So awesome! They look beautiful!

amylouwhosews said...

I'm a friend of Nora's and I clicked on your blog from her page because I like the title. Then I saw you were an SFG girl too! I did mine the first time this year and it is AWESOME!! you're garden looks great. I'm glad I'm not the only one who blogs about such things. . .

Kat said...

I am so proud *sniff*

Kat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dishes and laundry said...

Thanks, everyone. It's been really fun and it's turned out better than any garden I've ever had.
Welcome to amylouwho!

Kat said...

Sorry Wendy I don't know why that posted 3 times. =( I must have leaned on the enter button.

We have a new adventure at our home. We bought a goat, and are now trying our hand at cheese making. Kevin is in 7th heaven since I lifted the restriction on the amount of milk he is limited to drink per day. I will have to write about it on my own blog =)

You did a great job btw on your garden. Everything does look really nice and tasty. I hope the tomatoes are behaving better for you.

dishes and laundry said...

A goat?!!! Awesome. You have to write all about it. So is Kevin drinking the milk?

Queen of Hearts said...

Wow! Troy is really a great husband. You seriously are my inspiration. I totally want to go buy that book and get gardening (next year) myself.