Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Out They Go

A couple of months ago, Aaron was complaining of another sore throat. He was getting them a lot, never tested positive for strep, and with Tylenol he'd be just fine. Sinus drainage? Random topic to whine about?

Nope.

Tonsilliths. Or tonsil stones, if you prefer.

As I peered down his throat one day, I noticed a little white thing sticking out of his right tonsil. Well, that just wouldn't do, so I wrestled him to the ground, promised him money if he'd just let me "look", and then pushed on his tonsil with a Q-tip.

The white thing popped out of his tonsil and stuck to the back of his throat. Aaron was gagging as I tried to pick it up with the Q-tip and pull it out of his mouth. Success!

It was about the size of a small pea, grayish white, firm like a cottage cheese curd, and stinky. Really, really stinky.

So gross.

Soooooo cool!

I thought is was just a big ball of hardened pus, and surely there would be more...but Aaron wouldn't let me "look" again. Surprisingly, his sore throat was completely gone.

A few weeks later it happened again, and once more, it was awesomely cool. And gross and stinky.

Time to see the doctor - this had to be one horrible infection.

Saw the regular doc who sent us off to an ENT, who diagnosed Cryptic Chronic Tonsillitis - the tonsils have swiss-cheese like holes that fill up with food, bacteria, mucous, and saliva, and it gets all compacted and hard (now it's a tonsillith) and bothersome or even painful when it starts to come out. It's actually very common, and many people express their tonsils once a week or more. Sometimes the tonsillith will work its way out on its own or can be coughed out. It can cause bad breath.

Since Aaron was pretty young to be getting these, and they were causing frequent sore throats, we decided to get his tonsils out. Better at 9 than when he's older.

This is a small tonsillith - very similar to what Aaron's looked like.


And this is a really big one. You could pull that one out with tweezers.


So yesterday morning, even though I didn't have my driver's license, insurance cards or money that I could access, we headed to the hospital to have those pesky tonsils removed. Funny...my kid going in for surgery was not the most stressful part of my week.
Geez, we had to get there early: 6:30 in the morning
Glad it's not me!

Cameron being uncharacteristically helpful in getting Aaron into his gown.



Cheery yellow socks

Confident before surgery



Well, maybe just a little anxious



Then 20 minutes of surgery, an hour of recovery and he's dressed and almost ready to go home.

First, we must contemplate the popsicle.

And somehow get it to the mouth.


Home...and this is pretty much the rest of the day.

Sleep tight, Aaron.

I promise I won't let your pain meds run out before I give you the next dose.

9 comments:

sugarbritches said...

Cayden is supposed to have his tonsils out - but he got sick with the croup and they said no. I've been too stressed to re-schedule. It sounds like it went ok for you. Where did he have the surgery?

dishes and laundry said...

He was at St. Mark's Outpatient. They took great care of him, very fast, called back today to see how he was, etc. Aaron's just laid around and slept a lot, and I'm having a hard time getting him to eat...but he's takes his Tylenol w/ codeine just fine!
Good luck with Cayden!

gotta go girl said...

Katie had all those craters in her tonsils too and had to get them out. She was 10 when she got them out. She had a pretty hard recovery, harder than I thought. The Younger the better! Lisa, just get it over with! Glad everything is okay with Aaron so far! Glad to touch base with you again! PS My blog is updated!

stressedkris said...

Lots of love Aaron and get well soon!

KCK said...

So glad everything went well! Get feeling better quick, Aaron!

Kristi said...

Okay - totally gross, but I have actually had these and never went to the doctor! It was earlier this year and it was making me crazy. I haven't had any for a few months, but now when I go to the doc with them I can tell him I have tonsilliths! Fun for Aaron!

dishes and laundry said...

Aaron thanks you all for the good wishes. He's still taking his tylenol/codeine, but alternating it with ibuprofen - it was making him itch.

Kristi - apparently LOTS of people have the tonsilliths and it's not something that you absolutely have to have your tonsils out for. The more people I tell about this, I find out that they've had 'em too.

It"s me said...

I should have had mine out. When i was 16 my tonsils swelled so bad that my throat almost closed. I was in the hospital for days on oxygen. But because I was older ... I've still got them.

dalene said...

Ouch! Hope he's feeling better.