Tuesday, October 21, 2008

There's No Witty Title Because I'm Still In Shock

Just when I think there's nothing going on in my life that's blog-worthy...life sort of rears up and smacks me upside the head. Hard.

When we walked out of church last Sunday, this is what greeted us:

And this:



Before the broken glass littered the inside of my car, my purse was cleverly (so not!) concealed inside a jacket, tucked halfway under the seat, and a magazine and a sunshade were tossed on top. You know, so it just looks like I have a messy car, and not a purse full of things that ought to be stolen.

I wasn't fooling anyone, especially not the low-life, scumbags who decided to pull the ol' Smash-n-Grab on me. In the church parking lot, no less!

Church gets out at 2. Troy, unable/unwilling to use the facilities at the church, drove home during the last meeting and returned at about 1:50. He went inside and was talking with our home teacher - in the foyer. If he'd turned around, he might have seen them. At 2:05 ('cause we aren't ones to linger longer) we walked out and saw the glass, the open glove box and center console, the missing purse and (yes, it gets even worse) the missing house keys!!!!!

Seriously, did they follow him into the parking lot and simply watch him go inside?

More people came out and stood with me, sharing in my shock and anger. Police were called. A neighbor drove Troy home so he could get our cell phones. Troy announced that he was going to Walmart to see if they were shopping for electronics and drove off while I waited for the police - he wasn't thinking clearly, just that HE MUST STOP THEM!!!!!!!

A kind ward member gently pointed out that Troy ought to call the credit card company and stop them from that end instead of tackling random people at Walmart. I called him, he went home and called our bank. I only had one major credit card and one debit card (same bank), so that went pretty smoothly.

They'd already been to Walmart and charged $115.30 and they were trying to buy gas at a Holiday when the card got cancelled. They were fast, organized, and they knew right where to go: Walmart - with those lovely self-check registers.

The police came and took our statements and a list of things that were in the purse. He went off to do his thing and then we went back to our now unsecured home to take care of things on our end. We're still not done.

  • House re-keyed on a Sunday: $180
  • New mailbox lock/driving to post office to get new key: $15
  • New driver's license: $18 - haven't done this yet
  • Ordering new cards from credit union
  • File fraud report with credit union
  • Cancel Kohls card
  • Call insurance company and order new cards
  • Call auto glass people and wait an entire day for them to fix my window. But let's hear it for full glass coverage!
  • Call Equifax and other credit reporting agencies to put a fraud alert on my life. Side note: the guy at Equifax sounded exactly like Balki from Beverly Hills Cop. It made me giggle.

It's just all so irritating and time consuming. It takes forever to call some of these places because everything is in English and Spanish, and I had to navigate through the phone system, hoping that I could somehow just push #7 and speak to a real person. Waiting for the glass people was the biggest pain. Even though we specifically asked and begged them to put us at the top of the list so I could get new bankcards and a new license, when the guy finally showed up, he told me that he saved me for last because he lives close by. Aaaaarrrrrrggghhh!!!

The inconveniences are overwhelming. Aaron was getting his tonsils out today and the hospital needed me to bring my driver's license, insurance cards, and some money. Sorry...I don't HAVE any of those things anymore. The post office wants ID before they will give me a new mail key. The bank wants ID before I withdraw anything. Albertson's wants ID before they give me a new Fresh Values card, Sam's Club, the pharmacy, everyone. Oh yeah...it's all about the picture ID, unless you steal someone's credit card -- then by all means, shop away...no one's gonna stop you.

Okay, just a few more rants, on a minor scale.

It was a good purse. Not too big, not too small, with all the features I want and none that I don't need. It was brown with some leopard fabric accents, little end pockets for a cell phone, secret zippered pouch for tampons, perfect length straps...I really liked this purse. Gone. Perfect wallet...gone.

Last Christmas I splurged and bought myself some lovely lip glosses from Bath and Body Works. Chocolate Mint and Peppermint Shimmer - both with peppermint oil to plump the lips and taste yummy. Gone.

Gift cards and refund cards to Kohls, Barnes and Noble, Seagull Book and Tape, Subway and Cafe Rio. Gone.

Cute little mint tins, one with mints, the other with Tylenol and Excedrin. Mirror, gum, my favorite pen, temple recommend...gone.

I have ipod shame now - because it wasn't stolen. It was practically like they put it back. What...my little shuffle isn't good enough for you?

But, there is a bright side. Really.

I did not have my social security card in my purse. Or my check book. Not that I could write a check without my ID. I only had one credit card with me. We found out fast and were able to stop them before any more damage was done. Our cell phones weren't in the car. Troy was home when this all happened. There wasn't any cash in my purse. Good friends and neighbors stood with us, called to check on us, and generally made us feel loved.

Troy has every right to say I told you so - he has asked me again and again not to leave my purse in the car. I would just brush it off and explain that I "hid" my purse. He hasn't said a word about it. Not one. Good guy, that Troy.

That very day, I taught a lesson in Primary about Mormon witnessing the downfall of the Nephites. It went on and on about how the cities were full of robbers and people with no conscience. Nothing was safe. If it could be stolen, it was.

I think I prefer my object lessons a little less real.

17 comments:

ash said...

Holy cow! I can't believe that! I'm glad you are ok, but what a pain! And I am so sorry about all the little things, they really are important too!

Elise said...

Oh no! Your parents told us about this on Sunday and I am so sorry this happened! Not only is it so annoying and time consuming and inconvenient to try to replace everything but it leaves you feeling so violated.

Scum bags!

havingcakeandeatingit2 said...

Darn it all! So sorry to hear about this. I may actually start taking my purse out of the car with me. I might have been able to avoid the broken window but that's because I usually don't lock my car. Have to say I am feeling inspired after reading about your troubles.

Nora Mair said...

At church? What a sin. Now if had been during the Sunday school hour--someone would have seen them... Good luck with the tonsillectomy. Huge hugs.

Unknown said...

That sucks, sorry for the strong language, but it calls for it. I'm so sorry!

Amber said...

I'm so sorry! I know exactly how frustrated you feel. We had our car broken into a few years ago and they stole a stereo deck Jake had paid $75 for. Instead of breaking the window, they put their knee into the door and bent the frame until the window bent out, causing $2,000 worth of damage. They didn't need to go to all that trouble- if they'd knocked on my door, I would have GIVEN them the stereo. Or money to buy one! Oh, and they left Jake's wallet and palm pilot on the seat- the $75 stereo was more important!!

stressedkris said...

I'm sorry and Erik wishes that he would have been watching while he was talking with Troy. I am so very sory.

Mrs. J said...

Aaaah....I am so sorry this happened to you. It is a great post though :)

dishes and laundry said...

Thanks, everyone. Whining about it has helped a little.

A girl at the bank told me that about 3 months ago, she was coming out of Walmart with a friend and these two guys were walking towards them. When they go to about 10 feet away, one of them just ran at her and literally fell on top of her, knocking her to the ground. then he jumped up and ran away. She was so surprised/shocked, she just sat there and didn't realize for 15-20 seconds that he'd stolen her purse. She was out and out mugged!

Amber, that's horrible that they did so much damage to Jake's car - just for the sake of damaging it.

Horrible times, people, horrible times we live in.

As always, I'm not so much a good example, as a horrible warning: Don't leave your purse in the car!

Shauna said...

Oh that is awful!! I have been there and it is not fun!! But I do what you do all the time, "hide my purse", well, maybe I'll think twice next time. That is ridiculous, in the middle of the day, in a church parking lot for crying out loud!! Good luck with all the phone calls. So how did the tonsil surgery go?

Allred Family said...

I can't believe it! I had my checkbook and credit cards stolen out of my car in the big church parking lot right by your house when we still lived in Utah. I am so thankful that they didn't take the whole purse, but it did take me longer to realize that anything was stolen because nothing looked different. We have also been having that same problem with purses stolen out of the car while parked at the Temple.

If you want someone to cry with my Mother is still not over having her purse stolen the exact way as you about 6 years ago. She talks about it like it was yesterday.

Sorry!

pinklady said...

oh. my. gosh. I can't believe it happened in the church parking lot. do people have no shame? as annoying as it all is, you are right about the positives in this situation. glad it wasn't worse.

now, forget the ID, here's to finding another great purse. that is ALWAYS the hardest part! :)

sugarbritches said...

That's my biggest fear!! We had a funeral here in May and the High Priests were assigned to security duty at the house and the church. That's where I learned that thieves target churches and funerals. I had no idea. I also thought I was safe because I did EXACTLY what you did, I bury my purse under a pile of car garbage thinking what a clever girl I was. Not so, apparently thieves are way ahead of us. I am so sorry wendy, what a royal pain in the tookus.

Personal Progress Planners said...

awhile back we had a real problem with peoples cars getting broken into during church also. Not sure how many but enough that they assigned people from each ward to take shifts patrolling the parking lot during church. What has this world come to! So sorry wendy>

Kristi said...

Oh Wendy, that totally sucks. I am so sorry. I had my purse stolen last spring in my work parking lot. It just gives you the worst feeling inside - that you've been violated.

Good luck straightening everything out! I know the rage!!!

dalene said...

So sorry--that stinks! I need my husband to read this because he leaves his wallet in the car and the car unlocked!

(compulsive writer)

KimLairson said...

One of my worst fears happened to you! BOO on the thieves!