Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Away In A Manger

When I was growing up, I always liked to help set up the nativity for Christmas. The pieces we had were painted ceramic, and I suppose that they were not expensive or of very high quality. But I loved them. I'd carefully unwrap them from their tissue paper and place them just so in the stable. Then I'd move them around a little...switch those two shepherds with the camel...put the sheep in front of the donkey...move Joseph just a hair closer to Mary. It had to look just right.


The stable was made of wood and it had bits of straw and irish moss glued to it in places. One of the wisemen was painted black and Mary's robe was painted blue. There were probably even a few pieces that were chipped or had places where the paint had worn off.


The set was discarded long ago - it wasn't like it was valuable or an heirloom in any way. My parents now have a beautiful nativity, the kind that is passed down to the next generation.


I have three nativities - and I think they're all pretty nice. The first one I got after my Grandmother died. It's not fancy, but I cherish it because it was hers, and she loved it.


The pieces are small - the entire 15 piece set fits inside an 8x8 cube box, along with two pieces of purple velvet. This is the top of the box:

My Grandma had wrapped all the pieces in Kleenex, and that's how it stays. The Kleenex is torn and falling apart, but it smells like her and her home. I can't imagine ever throwing it out in favor of crisp, new tissue paper. I miss my Grandma.


Here is the Family. Joseph is only about 3 inches tall.

And some of the other pieces...


It's priceless to me.


My next nativity set was made by my mother-in-law and given to us years and years ago. She was really into ceramics and (hopefully) made one of these for all her kids. She painted the pieces with a pearly clearcoat.

Cameron took over the setting up of this nativity. He's a lot like me...making it look right, with each piece in an aesthetically pleasing spot. He did this whole thing with the lodgepole pines and extra garland all by himself. It's sitting in a window seat in our front room. He did an excellent job. I think it looks really nice.


The only thing that I don't really care for in this set, is that Joseph has his arms folded. I like the outstretched arm from my grandma's set better. I don't know...the folded arms make him look bored or detached from the situation. He should be more welcoming to the visitors, saying "Come and see...". I'm probably the only one who thinks that. I really like the stable. It reminds me of the one we had when I was a little girl.

My last nativity is just this small two piece set. Does it count as a nativity if the wisemen and the camels aren't there? I don't remember where I got it, though it's possible that my mother-in-law made it as well. I love the closeness of Joseph and Mary and the fact that Mary is holding Baby Jesus, and how they are both just looking at Him with wonder and awe. 'Cause that's how it really is when a new baby comes.


That Baby Jesus is loose though. When I took the big piece out of the box and started unwrapping it, I couldn't find the Him! I frantically squeezed all the wads of tissue paper, worried that He'd gotten misplaced or thrown out. I found Him, carefully wrapped and down in a corner of the box. Whew!


And then because our house is small and the boys insist on using every single decoration, (also because we decorate one room and one room only), this peaceful scene of the Baby Jesus being held and cuddled and loved by His parents, is being watched over ...





by a giant, smiling snowman.






Do you have a nativity?

What makes it special to you?

9 comments:

It"s me said...

I used to play with my families all the time. I thought it was totally awesome. And the angel in our nativity was detachable from the stable and that was so cool. When I grew up my mom bought some nice nativities... But the grandkids still play with the plastic one I used to play with.

When I got married my mom bought me my very out nativity and each year she buys me a new one. They are just some cheap ones but very cute!

Brandi said...

My Grandma has a set at her house that has all plastic pieces and all of the people and animals are smiling. They kind of look like "little people" toys.The stable is made of popsicle sticks. Every time my kids go over there at Christmas time, that's what they play with. I would love to find a set like that.

My set is homemade. BlAH! I have my eye on the Willow tree set. We do have all the felt story board pieces, and Hayden loves to play with those. I guess that's why I display that kind of stuff. I want him to know and love the Christmas story.

pinklady said...

oooohhh, that's the nativity you mentioned before...it's beautiful. I so know what you mean by wanting to keep the box and tissue because it smells like her. I miss my grandma too.

my mother collects nativities and has over 100 although most are miniature ones she keeps in a curio cabinet year round.

me, I only have two. one is a set I received as a gift and is plastic. cute. the other is made of wood and hand cut by my dad. it is simplistic and only features mary, joseph and jesus but it conveys everything in those few pieces.

Angi said...

I have a very pretty nativity given to me by my mother-in-law. It took her about 5 years to give us all the pieces. It's VERY nice. No body can touch this one so it just sits. I want people to be able to touch it. I don't know why.
I love it though.

I also have one that is so cute and small and the faces are like cartoon faces but just cute and I love it too, but differently than the other one. I guess because my kids can touch it and anyone else who may want to move things around.

Suz Q Free Tibet said...

Wend- I totally laughed out loud! I love that The Giant Snowman picture. You crack me up!

Marsha said...

Oh Wendy!!! I don't have to watch tv to be entertained!!! Joseph folding his arms...bored or detached from the situation!!! I'm with Susan...You crack me up and I'm laughing out loud!!! Keep it coming Girl!!!

BusyBez said...

I have a nativity that just showed up in my Christmas decorations. Seriously, I have no idea where it came from. Perhaps a Christmas miracle.
My family had the nativity in two pieces like you. We could never get baby Jesus to stay put. He was always falling. And let face it, a nativity without a baby Jesus, just isn't a nativity at all.
Our first year of marriage Richard tried to go out and buy me the Lladro nativity set. Then he realized, oh, we can't afford it. Maybe some year.

BusyBez said...

oh, I forgot...
My favorite nativity is the one my family made that is at Grandma's still. It was made of foam heads, and yarn hair and beards w/ felt robes. Sounds cheesy but it is actually very cute.

Nora Mair said...

Big Happy Snowman. Ha. I have the willow tree nativity and have thought about branching out but I have a huge santa collection that's taking over the top of the piano. How sad is that? More santa than The Lord...ah Christmas.