Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Tastes Like Beauty...Rolled In Sugar

That's how Aaron described the flavor of the dough for the gingersnaps I was making. After a long Saturday morning playing in the snow, he and Cameron were helping me in the kitchen. I had mixed up the dough while they played, let it chill, and now Cameron was rolling it into small balls and Aaron was rolling those in sugar. Even the dough smelled so enticingly delicious, they couldn't wait for the first pan to come out of the oven. Aaron bit into the side of a ball.

"Mom...It tastes like...like beauty...rolled in sugar."

I think that's about the highest compliment you can give a cookie.

As a matter of fact, these cookies do taste amazing, both in dough and baked form. Something about that sweet cinnamon and the spicy, fragrant ginger, blended in a simple buttery dough - I think Aaron has described them perfectly.

They taste like beauty.



I only make these gingersnaps once or twice a year, always in the Fall or Winter, when the weather tells me to stay indoors and make comfort food for my family. These cookies just wouldn't do in the summer months, when frozen lemonade pies and all things strawberry should be eaten.


I doubt that very many people would name the gingersnap as their favorite cookie. Chocolate chip, peanut butter, or even a good oatmeal raisin would probably be their first choice. It is for me, at least until the weather turns cold. Then, there's just something about this delightful little cookie that warms my home and my mouth. I think they are delicious and utterly addictive. So proceed with caution.

**************************************************
Gingersnaps...aka "Taste of Beauty In Your Mouth"

3/4 cup butter or margarine

2 eggs

2 cups sugar

1/2 cup light molasses

4 cups flour

4 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. salt

1 Tbsp. ginger

2 tsp. cinnamon

Cream the butter, eggs, sugar and molasses. Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and then mix into the butter/eggs/sugars. Form dough into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll the dough into small balls - about the size of a small walnut - and roll in granulated sugar. Place on a greased cookie sheet and bake for 6-8 minutes.

**********************************************

See those cracks? That's where the chewy meets the crispy, crackly. You know, if you like that sort of thing. Just so happens, I do.

But if chewy all the way through is the way to win your heart, let them spend the night in a Tupperware. Turns out, I like them this way too.

Don't forget the milk.

Assuming you've never tasted these on a cold, wintery day...what kind of cookie do you enjoy?

15 comments:

Elise said...

yes, Wendy, you never fail to deliver! I am having a cookie exchange at my house this week and i have been thinking and thinking about what kinds to make. Now I can make these. No one could be disappointed with Beauty, rolled in sugar!!Thanks!

Brandi said...

Would you believe that I have never tried that type of cookie? I am going to the store today to buy molasses just to try it! (Would you believe I've never bought molasses before, either?)

My weakness is sugar cookies. I have two recipes that I love. They make big, thick, soft and chewy sugar cookies. And homemade buttercream frosting. I make them anytime of year. We make hearts for Valentines, Clovers for St. Patrick's, stars and flags for July, etc. Really, we eat these a lot at our house!

And...we make chocolate chip cookies a lot, but they never turn into cookies because me and Eric like the dough more.

pinklady said...

oh my...what a wordsmith of a son you have there! "beauty rolled in sugar," that is AWESOME! and they look amazingly good. it just so happens that I love the cracks where the crispy and chewy combine...my FAVORITE place on a cookie, any cookie!

my favorite cookie would probably be the basic tollhouse chocolate chip (WITHOUT nuts ALWAYS) but my mom makes these awesome "super oreos" with big, fluffy chocolate cake cookies with yummy white frosting in the middle. they are my kryptonite for sure!

It"s me said...

Those look wonderful! I am going to have to make them. (well at least try... ) anywho.. My favorite cookie this time of year is called an almond nut log. OHHHHH they are heavenly. Its a crunchy cookie with almond flavoring covered in tiny almond bits. YUMMM. Oh crap there goes my diet!

dalene said...

Oh you soooooo speaka my language. What I won't do for a good ginger cookie. They're my favorite.

Thanks for the recipe.

Suz Q Free Tibet said...

I'm like Brandi...I have never bought molasses! I'm wanting to try this recipe. It looks so good!

Sugar cookies too...my weekness.

Angi said...

Oh, I love ANY kind of cookie. My favorite to eat is the oreo with the cream frosting that Diane Dreager taught me to make. My fav. to bake is applesauce, oatmeal, chocolate chip. Because the dough (more like batter, is the best to eat right out of the bowl.)

I also have the greatest non sugar cookie recipe. It has only sweetened condensed milk for the sugar, these are the fluffiest cookies ever. And like Brandi you make butter cream frosting and smother them in it.

Now I can try these new cookies and make all the guys at my house happy. I can all ready tell they will love them! Thanks for the recipe.

dishes and laundry said...

This is the only thing I've ever bought molasses for - one jar a year - makes two batches of the gingersnaps.

Now I want to have a cookie exchange - all your favorites sound so yummy. Pinklady has to drive down and bring her Mom's super oreos.

Compulsive Writer...speaka my language? Men At Work? I love music from the 80's!!

Unknown said...

They do look scrumptious! I'm going to have to try the recipe. Great picture too by the way.

pinklady said...

tell me when and where...I'm there!

or I can just send you a care package sometime.

you will never be the same once you've had them, I'm just saying.

maybe I should do a tutorial post with the recipe on my blog...hmmm, good idea I think. stay tuned for that!

dishes and laundry said...

Yes...yes...please!

Brandi said...

Angi
I totally want that non sugar cookie recipe!!! Sounds so good! I also make the homemade oreos and...I live in Diane's old house. :)

Marsha said...

I'm making these tonight!!! What's a cookie exchange??? Sounds yummy and like something I would enjoy...I'll bring the milk!!! ha ha ha

dishes and laundry said...

Marsha - Suz said you brought her some of the cookies - she said they were delicious. Do you like?

And I'm not really sure what a cookie exchange is. I think it's when a bunch of women gather and each one brings dozens and dozens of one kind of cookie - and then they exchange their cookies for someone else's cookies.

BusyBez said...

Love the oatmeal raisin or my families brown sugar cookies. Yummy.