Wednesday, December 26, 2007

A Few Things From Christmas

So...how was your Christmas? Was every wish fulfilled, every goodie eaten, every magical fantasy brought to life in a flurry of wrapping paper and bows? Or did you have a nasty case of Christmas Letdown that resulted in actual tears like my almost 11 year old? More on that tomorrow.

Aside from that, we had a lovely day. I had made cinnamon rolls the day before, so all I had to do in the morning was take them out of the fridge, let them rise while we opened presents, and then bake. Voila - Christmas Breakfast.

On Saturday, I had made a gigantic lasagna in my 10x15 Pyrex dish - big enough for us to eat over the course of many days. This was my best idea ever. I had french bread to make garlic toast and then any time we were hungry (and needed a break from the goodies), we just microwaved some lasagna and broiled some bread. Voila - Christmas Lunch.

I also had the foresight to do a big roast and veggies for Christmas dinner. My whole mindset for the day was to not have to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. I put the meat, potatoes, carrots and onions in the crockpot around 10 am, and then sat back to enjoy my day. Voila - Christmas Dinner.

The only drawback to my stay-out-of-the-kitchen-on-Christmas strategy, was that I really did stay out of the kitchen, except to serve up plates it seemed. And with me out of the kitchen, well, the dishes just didn't get done. I walked into the kitchen this morning and saw with clarity, the flaw in the plan. We did in fact use plates, silverware, glasses, 9x13 pans, 10x15 pans, cookie sheets, serving spoons and cutting boards, and one very large crock pot, bearing the evidence that our roast was not the leanest cut of meat. Tasty, but not so lean.

Voila - Day After Christmas Dishes.

I'm on my second dishwasher load and working on the by-hand dishes.

Note to self: Next year, use paper plates, etc., aluminum foil baking pans...or just suck it up and do the dishes. Remember the huge lasagna though - that part was brilliant.

********************************************************

I received some wonderful gifts - a new flat iron for my hair, a blender, a new cutting board and a higher quality knife than I've ever owned, to name a few. Yes, I asked for these things - and I love them. I'm a homemaker and I need good tools. And my hair needed a new flat iron.

But the real surprise came from Troy. He gave me my ring again.

A little over a year ago, I was sitting in church and happened to look down at my hand. The center diamond on my engagement ring was gone. The prongs were all still in place, but the stone just wasn't there anymore. I was so sad.

I loved this ring. The diamond itself was tiny - smaller than the prongs that held it. I remember choosing the ring with Troy, when I was 19 and he was 21, and having the clerk explain that the prongs were white gold which would make the diamond look bigger. I never cared that it was small - I loved it. It was delicate and feminine and I thought it looked perfect on my small hands. And now it was unwearable.

I put the ring away in a tiny cardboard box that one of the boys had given me and buried it down in my underwear drawer. For a while I didn't wear any ring, and then I started buying these fabulous fakes from http://www.eleganzajewels.com/. Flashy and huge, they were inexpensive enough to own several, and I did. But eventually some of the plating wore off, and they became unwearable too. I think they had a guarantee, but I never went to the trouble of sending them back. For the last few months I've worn nothing on my ring finger.

Until yesterday. Troy, in a complete act of pure romance, gave me my original ring back. He'd dug through my underwear drawer and found the little box with the rings, still unsoldered after 19 years of marriage, and took them to a jewelers on the Saturday before Christmas. He chose a diamond - a little bit bigger this time - and had it placed in new white gold prongs. They soldered the engagement and wedding rings together, and polished it up like new.

When I saw the box, I was worried about what it might hold. Troy is notorious for going overboard and spending money that we haven't earned yet. I shook my head and protested that we were going to think about me getting a new ring around our twentieth anniversary. Not now...not with the new truck...not with the new dog...not with all the other Christmas expenses...I don't need it...blah, blah, blah.

"Just open it." he said, "You'll like it."

The boys were watching me, Troy was watching me. I prepared to gush and oooh and aaahh, and then find a way to return it - sensible girl that I am. I don't need...

And then I saw it. Polished and glittering, delicate and feminine.

"It's...it's my ring! You got my ring!"

And then I cried. And hugged him. And kissed him. And put it on.

I can't stop staring at it. It is the perfect ring for my hand, for me. That's true love, right there.


I gave him floor mats for his truck.

****************************************************

We weren't the only ones enjoying a new puppy for Christmas. Both are still waiting for their names, but you can see them here and here. Puppy love all around.

****************************************************

And in Oliver news...well, he's just the sweetest thing!

He's still sleeping a lot, and we find ourselves carrying him around like a baby. It's taken him a few days to learn to walk on the slick kitchen floor, and now he bounds across it like a bunny. At least until his feet fly out from under him.

It's been so fun to introduce him to our friends and family.

This is my niece, Olivia. I predict that they will be good friends.

He spends a good amount of time crashed in his pad.

And he's starting to play with and chew on his toys.


Sometimes though...it's just so hard to get out of bed!



Alright, enough of this furry, cuddly, wonderful nonsense. I've got a few more dishes to do.

How was your Christmas?

13 comments:

Suz Q Free Tibet said...

Two words:
Troy Rocks!

I got a Neti Pot.
Tell Troy...no more homemade,ducked taped, one....it's in the garbage.

It"s me said...

That is so awesome! I love your ring! Our Christmas was kind of a let down. Ben and I both ended up in insta care, Ben's car broke down, and there were no surprises. I bought all of my Christmas gifts and BEN DIDN"T even surprise me with one.

Suz Q Free Tibet said...

Happy Leila:
I've been there....lol

dishes and laundry said...

Happy Leila! Instacare? What happened? We did the emergency room last Christmas with an ear infection. It will always be the "emergency room Christmas". Now you have an "Instacare Christmas".

Been there with the gifts too - sometimes I like it that way better - surprises can make me nervous.

Sorry about the car!

Suz - Go Neti Girl!

Suz Q Free Tibet said...

I would luv it if you did a blog about neti pots! (hint,hint)lol

I'm out to convert in the thousands!

sugarbritches said...

That's the best story ever!!! i'll show tom this post to give him a hint. I lost my wedding ring about 4 years ago. I had this terrible habit of setting it by the sink when I prepared food. One day I was making a big relish tray and washing, cutting, peeling etc, tons of veggies. I always lay down a bunch of paper towels to put them on and I think I just scooped up everything and my ring must have been too close and got scooped up too. That's the only thing I can think of. I am super sad. Tom designed it and had it make for me. it was the most spectacularly designed ring and contained a bartered diamond, but HE picked it out and took the time to choose what he liked and had a jeweller make it from scratch. so it was special to me. another ring won't be the same, but I would like another ring, no matter the value or style as long as tom does it on his own and wants to give it to me. long story sorry. it's all about me I guess. The puppy is super cute!!! I have a question, what happened to Geoffrey? I've been wondering about him for a few months, if you still had him, he was so much a part of your lives for so many years but I've not asked about him.

dishes and laundry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brandi said...

Wendy,
Eric surprised me with the same thing! My wedding ring back. I was a size 2 when we got engaged and, well, I'm not anymore and my ring has not fit since I had kids. So, anyway, I'll write about it on my blog. That was so sweet of Troy. Sounds like a good Christmas! See you at the gym! I've gotta work off Christmas lasagna and roast, too!

dishes and laundry said...

Hey Sugerbritches! Long time no see. Glad you're back. Sorry you lost your ring (darn those relish trays!) - it's hard to lose something with such sentimental value. Tom should definitely design a new one for you!

Jeffrey died last April. It was horrible. I keep thinking that I'm going to write about him on here, but it's just been too painful. I will though, someday. We miss him so much.

dishes and laundry said...

Brandi - Yay for old rings made new again!

Yes, the gym...I totally skipped spinning this morning. I did go back later and do the elliptical though. Sigh.

Amber said...

Jake is the same way about surprises and spending too much. Every year we set a budget for how much we're going to spend on each other, and every year I stick to it while he goes over! I just don't ask how much things cost any more!

It looks like yours was a GREAT surprise this year!

Kat said...

Kudos to Troy.. but he told me what he had done so I knew you would love it. He couldn't wait for xmas. Tom gave me a locket. I asked him a couple months ago for one. I had one when my kids were younger with their baby pictures in it. I lost it. Other then my kids in it there wasn't anything special about it. It was a offer when we had pictures done. I liked the idea of having one. Just a little cheapo thing. I wanted one that I could treasure. Especially now my kids are almost grown. I told Tom this. He surprised me with a choker Locket made of white gold. I don't even have the pictures in it yet and it all ready means the world to me. Maybe instead of the kids.. I should put a picture of Tom and myself.. what do you think? I am having a tough time deciding.

dishes and laundry said...

That sounds nice, Kat. Is it just a one picture locket? I do kind of like the idea of you and Tom in it.