Thursday, January 10, 2008

Important Scientific Findings From My Kitchen

No, no, Science has not discovered that an unmopped floor leads to better overall health, or that a less than sparkling oven produces tastier food, though I am convinced of both and will gladly offer my kitchen towards any experiments that could prove it.

What has been found, scientifically speaking, is that 5th Grade Science Fair Projects are a lot of work!

Cameron chose to experiment with microwave popcorn and how different storage temperatures will affect the final product. Apparently, each kernel of popcorn contains a small amount of water in the center - when that water is heated, it produces steam and pressure, and that's what makes it explode. The water content has to be around 14% - even a tiny percentage difference and you'll get poor quality popcorn. We tried to mess with the water content.

We've been keeping:

Popcorn packets in the freezer - predicting that the drop of water inside the kernel will freeze, expand, and crack the shell, making the kernels unpoppable. Also something about the cold keeping it from heating quickly enough in the exact popping time.

Popcorn packets in the fridge - predicting that the percentage of water inside the kernel would be altered by the low humidity and produce less fluffy popcorn, and again with the cold keeping it from heating enough.

Popcorn packets on the counter - predicting that this would be the perfect spot to store popcorn.
We did a test run, timing an extra bag on how long it took for it to pop perfectly, and then we used that time for all the bags. We are nothing if not scientific.

Cam popped the freezer bags first. We seriously thought it wouldn't even work, that we'd have to cut open the bag to reveal oily, sad, cracked kernels, ruined by their 30+ hours in the freezer. What a great picture that would make for the display board.

Guess what? It popped just fine. Tasted fine too.

We tried the refrigerator samples next, hoping at least for some decreased volume. Those popped up fine as well.

When Cameron popped the counter samples, I was ready to be blown away. For sure these packets would pop up with double the volume, twice the flavor, no old maids, anything.

Amaze me, cool science experiment, amaze me!!!

Nope.

It was pretty much all the same. I would have served any of the popcorn to company.



We measured every batch, counted every unpopped kernel, and did a good handful-size taste test. Any differences were negligible. Seriously.


I think the freezer samples produced 50 or so unpopped kernels and 2 quarts of popcorn, the fridge samples had around thirty unpopped kernels and the same volume, and the counter samples had 20 unpopped kernels and made 2 quarts plus 1 1/2 cups of popcorn.

Big deal.

However, for the sake of the Science Fair, we are making a very big deal about that extra cup and a half of popcorn and how few old maids were left when we wisely stored our popcorn at room temperature.

We're also gonna poke around a little bit more and see if we can prove that the counter samples produced bigger popped kernels.


Please, let them have produced bigger popped kernels. I want to show something significant from this little experiment.

Perhaps I should contact the Pop Weaver Popcorn Company and suggest their new advertising campaign: You can store this stuff anywhere - it'll still pop!

So that was the fun, fast part of the project. Now Cameron has to write up everything, including: a purpose page, research pages, hypothesis page, materials page, procedural page, variables page, data pages, analysis page, and a conclusion page.

He's in fifth grade, remember?

Then there's the display board that needs to be colorful, creative, and charismatic though it cannot contain any actual popcorn. Shoot - we were gonna glue a nice popcorn border around the edges.

It's all due next Thursday.


We're just hoping to be done flossing by then.

11 comments:

Suz Q Free Tibet said...

Hi!!! This is Becca. I don't want to go into fifth grade!!!

I wanted to look at your blog...
so, my mom let me read it and post a comment. Is that ok?

dishes and laundry said...

Hi Becca - I love that you are posting a comment on my blog!! Feel free to stop by anytime.

Fifth grade hasn't been too bad. Cameron doesn't have much daily homework - just reading - but these big projects that some up about kill me. I even cried a little bit last night.

You'll do great.

ash said...

We weren't experimenting...just wanted some popcorn

BUT

our old school kernels that we kept in the freezer popped awesome in the hot air popper, the really old stuff that had been opened and put in the cupboard for months didn't pop well at all.

Maybe it's because they were all the microwave type bags and they are super-sealed at the factory?

I remember the science fair. I'm glad that's over, but how many years away is Olivia?

Janet said...

I hate these science fair they were more stressful on me than my kids Breanna's is due next Thurs also yuck. She has done most of hers on her own.

dishes and laundry said...

Ash - maybe freezing the kernels kept them fresh, and being exposed to air dried them up more? I know that you can soak old kernels in water to "rejuvenate" them, and you can lay out kernels that have too much moisture to dry them out more.

We got this experiment right off the Pop Weaver website - I was really hoping for more dramatic results. I bet you're right - the old school kernels can be messed with more.

dishes and laundry said...

What's Breanna's project?

I've made Cam do pretty much everything on his own - the experiment part was easy - I've just been taking pictures. The writing it all down is what's hard. I just direct him on what he needs to write about next or say that he needs to write more than just one sentence.. It's hard not to correct little things just because I think they would sound better a certain way.

He's doing a good job, I just wish he'd get it all done and not drag it out any longer. I'll be so glad when it's over!

Suz Q Free Tibet said...

The pictures are awesome! Orville Red should hire you!

Suz Q Free Tibet said...

Do you guys remember the girl that did the science fair project about all the bacteria in our ice from restaurants? I wish I was that creative. I think the hardest part is coming up with an idea.

pinklady said...

I LOVE popcorn...and this experiment! it's a pretty cool idea, it's just too bad your findings weren't more tangible.

I was never good with science experiments. and I hate to floss! :-)

would love to see photos of the final project when it's done. keep us posted.

way to go cameron!

Amber said...

I'm hungry just looking at all the popcorn! If you can't finish it all, feel free to send some my way!

It"s me said...

I remember doing my 5th grade science project on which solution freezes fastest.

Oh the good old days.

I love your blog!