Monday, January 14, 2008

Tag! I'm It.

I have been tagged - the first time ever. It's that thing where you reveal a few little-known things about yourself and then "tag" someone who reads your blog, then they have to go and do the same thing on their own blog. Sort of a modern day chain letter. If you ignore the tag, I think your blog deletes itself or something.


My first thought about revealing facts about myself was that I've already shared most everything. I've written about my feet, my colon, my love for 80's music and Zac Efron, the way our gerbils die and how I love to watch Troy get his eyebrows waxed. I am an open book.

And then I actually thought of a few more.

As always though, there's a little backstory to explore first.

I started reading some blogs belonging to some friends of mine maybe a year and half ago. There was my childhood friend wahwee, and her husband loudboy, the older sister sugarbritches, just to name a few. All of a sudden I was immersed in their lives and knowing things about them and their extended family members - it was the ultimate fly-on-the-wall experience.
I was a lurker - didn't even have my own account and I couldn't leave comments, but I was addicted to reading everything they wrote. I started clicking around, found Cheeky Lotus (who has retired), Pioneer Woman, and many other blogs that I checked on daily. Finally I started Dishes and Laundry last July and that was it for me.

"Hi I'm Wendy...and I'm a blogaholic."

"Hi Wendy."


More family and friends have started blogs and it honestly has become one of the things I enjoy most, every single day. The writing is a creative and therapeutic outlet for me, my family likes reading about themselves (I think), and I get a lot of satisfaction from hitting publish. I love your comments and the friendships I've made through all of this.

So check out those links - do Loudboy first. He tagged the other two, and then Wahwee tagged me. Then come back here and read all six new and exciting interesting provacative astonishing time killing facts about me.

Here goes:

#1. I was named after Wendy in Peter Pan. My biological Dad was an actor and when I was born he was starring as Captain Hook in a local production. I've always liked my name - and it was far better than Tiger Lily or Tinkerbell, the only other girl names in the play. I like that the play has a song for me, titled, Wendy. I like that the Beach Boys have a song titled, Wendy, and I like that The Association has a song titled Windy. They spelled my name wrong but I don't care. What kid doesn't enjoy hearing their name on the radio?

Who's peekin' out from under a stairway
Calling a name that's lighter than air
Who's bending down to give me a rainbow
Everyone knows it's Windy

Who's tripping down the streets of the city
Smilin' at everybody she sees
Who's reachin' out to capture a moment
Everyone knows it's Windy

And Windy has stormy eyes
That flash at the sound of lies
And Windy has wings to fly
Above the clouds (above the clouds)
Above the clouds (above the clouds)
------ flute ------

Who's tripping down the streets of the city
Smilin' at everybody she sees
Who's reachin' out to capture a moment
Everyone knows it's Windy
[repeat and fade]
#2. When I was very young, my babysitter was Joyce DeWitt. You know her as Janet from Three's Company. Of course that was back when she was a teenager (actor Dad was also her high school drama teacher) and wasn't using such a heavy hand with the eyeliner. 'Cause, whoa.



She's the only "famous" person I've ever known, and she probably changed my diaper.


#3. When I was a young teenager, my favorite tv show was M*A*S*H*. I LOVED this show. For Christmas one year, I got a book all about the show. It had the history of the show, cast biographies, episode summaries, pictures and more pictures. I read this book cover to cover, quoting it, putting little checks by the episodes as I watched them in reruns. I could name the titles of each episode and recite trivia about all the stars. I still have this book - it's held together with packaging tape. When the show ended in 1983, I taped the final episode, Goodbye, Farewell and Amen, and watched a little bit of it every morning as I got ready for school. This went on for months. I cried and cried every time that helicopter lifted off the ground with Hawkeye inside and he could see GOODBYE spelled out in rocks.


I bet I haven't watched an episode in 20 years.



#4. I love having my feet rubbed. Any time, any place, any where. I would let a stranger rub my feet. Troy rubs my feet during Sacrament Meeting, reaching down and kneading, tickling, massaging. Cameron does it best though. He watches tv with me and sits with my feet in his lap and goes to work. His technique is superb and I hope he never gets tired of rubbing his Mama's feet.

#5. I am not a very good driver and I'm directionally challenged. I can get lost driving to places that I'm familiar with. Every time I drive to my Grandma's house (same house she's lived in forever) I have to ask Troy "Now how do I get there?". I am always missing exits and turnoffs, driving miles out of my way. I hate making left hand turns, changing lanes, and we won't even talk about driving at night. I don't drive downtown. Downtown to me is anything north of 21st South.


One time I went to a viewing in Lehi. I arrived (with the help of mapquest) in the daylight, but by the time I left it was dark. I couldn't see the mountains and didn't know which way to go to get back on the freeway (which I also hate driving on). I was completely and utterly lost. I drove around aimlessly until I found someone who drove like they knew where they were going and followed them. Somehow I made it home.

Knocking on wood here, but surprisingly, I've never been in an accident (other than when I was a passenger).

Troy tells me about some of the places he drives and the conditions he drives in and I get all panicky just hearing about it.

I love it when Troy is home and he offers to drive me around on my errands. He drops me off, waits in the car and then takes me to the next place. He rarely complains. This is why I love him. That and the foot rubbing thing.

#6. I can't sleep if I'm touching someone. Troy and I have these pillow barricades on our bed and it's a king size bed. There never has been, nor will there ever be, falling asleep in each other's arms. Cuddling is great, but when it's time to sleep, the pillows come out. We're so far apart, I don't think we could touch each other without stretching for it.


And that's it. Six little facts about me.
Don't I sound fun? Don't get in a car with me and someday I might ask you to rub my feet.

I tag my sister-in-law Elise and happyleila.

P.S. You have got to go read Elise's story about her shark.

9 comments:

Nora Mair said...

It's nice to be nice to the nice....Frank Burns eats worms...We should start M*A*S*H quote Monday! Funny. I always wondered how you started blogging. I thought you took a class because you're so thorough with lables and comments and a title that a SAHM might google.....

Amber said...

Wow! Diaper changes by a celebrity! And I love that you're navigationally challenged. Me too- I've even gotten lost with GPS!!!

Angi said...

I loved Mash too. It's all I could think about the next day at school. Spencer would love a Mash quote day. He would be on all day. We have the seasons on DVD.

I admire your ability to express yourself. I wish I could write that well.

You are a terrific friend to many people.

Mrs. J said...

I loved 3's company and I am so jealous that you were baby sat by Janet. That makes you almost famous too.

I think that it is great that you get lost as well.
When we first moved up here people would tell me to go east and I would say "which way is east?" Toward the mountains would be the reply. And I would look around and sure enough, I was surrounded by mountains on all four sides. And I was constantly grumbling just go toward the mountains a lot of help that is!

dalene said...

Great post!

dishes and laundry said...

I couldn't even play a MASH quote game - seriously, it's been decades since I've watched an episode! I'm thinkin' I need to start watching again.

Glad to know that getting lost isn't so uncommon.

wahwee said...

Great post! Sorry I am so late getting to it.

Knew about the Joyce Dewitt and MASH thing. I thought that was so cool that she was your babysitter. You were OBSESSED with MASH. I never got it then, but for years after if I ever saw an episode (re-run), I would always think of you. I am guessing that I was not allowed to watch it . . . or anything else for that matter.

You and I are total opposites with our feet. I HATE to have my feet touched. That is one of the rules I have for Mike. Don't touch mine and especially don't touch me with yours (his).

It was fun reading and remembering things I knew and learning a little too. (Rhyme!)

wahwee said...

Great post! Sorry I am so late getting to it.

Knew about the Joyce Dewitt and MASH thing. I thought that was so cool that she was your babysitter. You were OBSESSED with MASH. I never got it then, but for years after if I ever saw an episode (re-run), I would always think of you. I am guessing that I was not allowed to watch it . . . or anything else for that matter.

You and I are total opposites with our feet. I HATE to have my feet touched. That is one of the rules I have for Mike. Don't touch mine and especially don't touch me with yours (his).

It was fun reading and remembering things I knew and learning a little too. (Rhyme!)

Suz Q Free Tibet said...

I knew most of all of this about you except.....your love of MASH! It just makes me love you even more. I loved MASH too.

We would have been great friends as kids. (Except...I WOULDN"T want to rub your feet. LOL)