Monday, September 15, 2008

ULCER Ride

The first weekend in August, Troy and I did a 33 mile bike ride called The Ulcer. There were several distances to choose from, 33 being the shortest, and we chose that one for Troy's first ride. It was completely flat and started early enough in the morning that it didn't get too hot.

There was a lot of fanfare and music, sending everyone off. The riders going for the 111 mile distance would be circling Utah Lake, so the theme song was Ring of Fire. Ring for the route and fire for the temperature which would end up over 100 degrees. I think we were smart to stick with the 33 miles, don't you?

The Smart Ones


It was a great ride, made extra fun because I was doing it with Troy. He had a great time and even got a little competitive at the end. Not with me -- with (surely) the oldest person on the ride.

We had about 3 miles left and had been riding right alongside each other the entire time. I pointed ahead to this little old man (white hair, skinny, scrawny legs, seriously old) and joked that we should "try to take him".

Troy took me seriously and shot ahead and caught up to the old guy and passed him. The second Troy got ahead, the man perked up and started pedaling like mad to regain his lead. And that's how the last three miles went - these two unlikely athletes, vying for position. They went back and forth a few times, and in the end, Troy crossed the finish line first. Victory for my man!

The old guy was a good sport and congratulated Troy with a "Good ride."

It was a good ride, Troy. Way to go, I'm proud of you, and I love that you are riding with me!

1 comment:

Angi said...

Glad to know you are still alive. Thought you might have moved to a new country. One that hosts the biking sport, Tour de France. Parle vous franc`ais?