Friday, January 18, 2008

Notes of Note. A Post in Two Parts


Part I:
The Note From School, or,
Loosening My Bra As My Heart Swells With Pride

First of all, thank you for all your kind words of support and encouragement about Cam's science fair project. He took it to school yesterday and sat by it for an hour or two, answering questions from the judges and visiting parents. He was proud of his project and did a good job all around.

Today he brought this note home:



And this:
Pretty cool. Cameron was worried that he'd have to do another whole project. I assured him that if that was the case, he would politely decline the invitation. There is a bunch of paperwork to fill out though - almost a mini written report. And if he goes on to the state fair, we have to pay an entrance fee. For now, I think we'll just relax and enjoy being off track.



*******************************************************

Part II:
The Note That Came Out of the Dryer, or

If It's Love, Why Does It Hurt So Much?

Okay, I might be crossing a line. Sure I can post the pictures of Troy getting his eyebrows waxed, and me getting my colonoscopy, but this is almost too personal.


Last night, after I had tucked the boys in bed, I went to change the laundry over to the dryer. I pulled the dry clothes out and a tightly folded, still slightly damp note fell onto the floor.


You all told me about what you've pulled out of the dryer - the ipods, the gum, the dead hamster and the poop. But a note? You read it, right?

I did.

It was fragile from its trip through the washer and dryer but I carefully unfolded it and read the pencil writing.


Cam had written it, but never delivered it. It said:

"To Aspen, I like you. (smiley face)...But you like Will. Abby told me you hate me and never want to talk to me again. (frowny face)


I raced downstairs to show the note to Troy. He was as shocked as I was. There was romantic drama going on? We never knew. And what a love triangle it seems to be - Cam, Aspen, Will, and Abby - though so far, Abby is only the passer of information. Who is this Aspen girl...and why is she breaking my son's heart?


I went to ask Cam about it. He denied knowing what I was talking about, but that might have been because I woke him up. I asked him who everyone was and he tried to tell me what had happened. Even through his explanation I could tell that he wasn't even sure what was going on.


"Are you sad?" I was prepared to grieve with him.


"Not really."

"But you drew a frowny face! That means you're sad!"

"Then I guess I was."

"Why didn't you deliver it?" Hand me a bigger spoon, I'm stirring it up really good now.

"I changed my mind."

"Okay sweetheart. Probably better that way. Do you want to talk about it? Do you need a hug?"

"Mom, I'd kinda forgotten all about it."

"Oh...okay...but if you need a shoulder..."

"Goodnight!"

********************************************************

Two very different notes, but they both amaze me.

I just have to ask...


Did you ever pass notes in school?

12 comments:

Mrs. J said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs. J said...

Didn't we all pass notes in school?

I remember one series of notes that looking back on now, I can only hope that the evidence is not looming in someone's scrapbook.

I was in the 3rd grade. It was a love affair that started over a boy sharing his pencil with me. It ended tragically a few days later with a note from me that began something like "I think that our love started over sharing a pencil, and I am sad you do not like me anymore, I have pencils I would share with you."

dishes and laundry said...

Hehehe...I love how you're dangling it like a carrot: I have pencils I would share...

Suz Q Free Tibet said...

Tell Cam that Becca and I can toilet paper Aspen's house if he wants. LOL

dishes and laundry said...

Oooo, I'll go too. Teach her to mess with my boy.

Elise said...

Firstly, awesome job for the science fair! Secondly, HA! Oh my! I love that you posted that note on your blog. I too remember the notes of elementary love. Hope Cameron's not too sad. There are lots of fish in the sea!

ash said...

WAHOOO district fair! Way to go! I don't remember passing notes in elementary as much as junior high, but those were mostly to other girls. I do remember elementary school "love" though. You are awesome to want to talk to him about it!

From Jared: Cam's a good kid.

Amber said...

Congrats on the science fair! Cameron (and you!) did a great job.

I'm so glad I don't have to worry about love notes, love triangles, and love woes with Dallin yet (just in my own life- joking, joking!). And who didn't pass notes in school? Even my school days were before the ultra-tech note passing of text messaging.

Nora Mair said...

I would love to be in the now with the technical texing of notes. It would be very cool to get a text and check it in between class....alas I just check my blog.. 9th grade -- I got a note from Justin who told me he "accidentaly" held my hand at the party the Friday night before and he really liked Lori... It was memorable. I'm sure I wrote a lengthy response that never was delivered. PS Way to go Cam (and Wendy) on the science fair.

dishes and laundry said...

Thanks everyone. Cam is very excited to be going on to the district fair. He says he hopes to go to the state level - he's heard they have a pizza party. He's been flattered by all your nice comments - Thanks!!!

He also wanted me to mention that the dryer letter was written months ago and he found it in his desk when he had to clean it out. No wonder he had forgotten about it. I need to remember that boy-drama is very different than girl-drama.

I hadn't even thought about how texting has changed the whole note-passing scenario! I have my own stories to tell, but that's for another post.

Unknown said...

That is awesome that he made it to the District Science Fair. Way to go. I'm with you, anything that doesn't get cleaned out of pockets before it goes into the wash is free game. I would have read the note.

It"s me said...

Seriously... That is so cool about the science fair!!!

About the note... Man... those were the good old days. I remember getting a note in 2nd grade saying that TJ liked me. OHHHHH But he was a rebel and got into trouble ... it just didn't work out.